Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hunter Warfield CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hunter Warfield CA

I have an agreement with Hunter Warfield that I pay them $75 a month to avoid futher legal proceeding.  I owe them approx $2100 from an apartment 2 years ago that I left.  When I got my notice today that they were giong to deposit my post dated check next month, it stated that $32.66 worth of interest accrued.  How is that legal?  They are charging me interest on a debt that is not theres.  I should have known this agency was slimy the first hint I got of them.  I noticed a new Collection Account on my credit report two years ago, I disputed it and it was taken off.  I then wrote to Hunter Warfield to validate debt, which they did.  Later on I spoke with a Steve Gotti from Hunter Warfield (very pushy and rude).  I told him I would set up a payment plan but this cannot go on my credit report, he kind of laughed and stated that regardless it would be going on my report.  Well, it still is not on my report.  I asked him if it does go on my report, any sort of PFD agreement and again he laughed and stated "no".  Fortunately for me, it still is not on my report and I am making monthly payments, but I feel the interest is high (half my payment goes to interest).  Anything I can do about that?  I have 0 collections on my reports and I want to keep it that way. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hunter Warfield CA

Check states laws and see what they allow.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an agreement with Hunter Warfield that I pay them $75 a month to avoid futher legal proceeding.  I owe them approx $2100 from an apartment 2 years ago that I left.  When I got my notice today that they were giong to deposit my post dated check next month, it stated that $32.66 worth of interest accrued.  How is that legal?  They are charging me interest on a debt that is not theres.  I should have known this agency was slimy the first hint I got of them.  I noticed a new Collection Account on my credit report two years ago, I disputed it and it was taken off.  I then wrote to Hunter Warfield to validate debt, which they did.  Later on I spoke with a Steve Gotti from Hunter Warfield (very pushy and rude).  I told him I would set up a payment plan but this cannot go on my credit report, he kind of laughed and stated that regardless it would be going on my report.  Well, it still is not on my report.  I asked him if it does go on my report, any sort of PFD agreement and again he laughed and stated "no".  Fortunately for me, it still is not on my report and I am making monthly payments, but I feel the interest is high (half my payment goes to interest).  Anything I can do about that?  I have 0 collections on my reports and I want to keep it that way. 

Thanks!

Most states do allow interest to acrue with debt collectors, usually limited to anywhere from 6-12%. If the $32.66 is one month of acrued interest, thats an annual rate of about 18 percent. Definitely look into your states laws regarding interest charged by debt collectors.

Message 3 of 6
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

FYI -

IF you rented from a Camden complex, CAMDEN owns the debt, not HW.

What that means is you can negotiate a settlement with CAMDEN and not HW to resolve this.  Make sure you know who owns the debt as I very highly doubt HW does.  (though, I could easily be wrong Smiley Frustrated)

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FDCPA 808(1) governs the charging of interest or other fees by debt collectors.

Other provisions of your state laws will also apply.

The federal statute permits such amounts if they are authorized in the account agreement with the creditor that created the debt.

A debt collector does not have to own the debt to be assigned collection authoriity.  In such cases, the interest is still accruing to the OC, not the debt collector.

It is permitted under the account agreement.  The debt collector is only assisitng in collection on behalf of the OC.

If the debt collector purchases the debt, they acquire the terms of the contract with the OC under which the debt was contracted.

Check your account agreement with the OC.  It will almost certainly specify the charging of interest on deliquent debt.

Message 5 of 6
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

FDCPA 808(1) governs the charging of interest or other fees by debt collectors.

Other provisions of your state laws will also apply.

The federal statute permits such amounts if they are authorized in the account agreement with the creditor that created the debt.

A debt collector does not have to own the debt to be assigned collection authoriity.  In such cases, the interest is still accruing to the OC, not the debt collector.

It is permitted under the account agreement.  The debt collector is only assisitng in collection on behalf of the OC.

If the debt collector purchases the debt, they acquire the terms of the contract with the OC under which the debt was contracted.

Check your account agreement with the OC.  It will almost certainly specify the charging of interest on deliquent debt.

Yes, Robert, I know the law well.  Requoting is not specific to Hunter Wackafield and more specifically, to Camden.

Specifically, regarding Camden properties, the BEST way to handle this is with Camden, NOT HW.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.