Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hunter Warfield collections threatening credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hunter Warfield collections threatening credit

Hello... I am new here. I am quite concerned about my credit in this scenario. At the moment I do not believe I have any hits on my credit score, as I have not owned a credit card before and have not made any payments on a car or anything of that sort. Last year I had a lease on an apartment with my parents as the cosigners as they were covering my rent at college. Unfortunately somehow the last two months rent were not paid and just recently I received a phone call from a man claiming to work at Hunter Warfield. I was calm and polite talking with him and was given an ultimatum of paying back $1200 of my $1400 debt with no reporting to credit agencies or 6 payments with 16% interest on the original amount and a negative report to my credit company. I have never dealt with debt collectors, nor do I desire to, so I did not acknowledge the debt and told him I was unable to provide him payment on the phone right then and had to consider my options. After reading up  on how to deal with debt collectors I called him back and the man was much more befuddled as I asked more questions about the debt. I was told explicitly not to record the conversation (although he was recording it on his end). In this second call I told him I was skeptical about my options and would like a mailing address for his company for which I could communicate with. He told me he could not release that information but he did give me a website linked to the company's payment portal. I asked twice through the call for his address. I also asked if I could obtain written proof of the payment plan or the ultimatum he offered and was told it was against company policy to do that. Now I got really skeptical and told him I needed proof of the debt and the terms of the payment plan before I would acknowledge the debt. He told me it was mailed to me and when I asked what address he gave me the address of the apartment I moved out of. I did not file an address change form with that apartment and informed him that I received no such message. I requested he send the letter again and at this point his responses became delayed and he told me I was at fault for not receiving their request and they will not provide me any further mailing information. He then stated that I was "stalling" and told me to go to their website to resolve the debt and I heard a click as he hung up the phone.

I am quite skeptical about this company and feel quite nervous accepting any ofers he provides me, especially without any written proof or means by which to contact them other than the phone number he gave me. I come to you guys seeking advice on what my next steps should be. In retrospect I've been told I shouldn't have even spoken to this collector but if they have the power to damage my virgin credit report thats urging me to contact him again. Your help is greatly appreciated, even just something to calm me down over this. For reference I am an unemployed university student scraping money to get by. I don't have any money to give them but if it is a dire need to give in to this man's demands I can take drastic measures to come up with the money.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
firstladyd
Contributor

Re: Hunter Warfield collections threatening credit

If they can't provide written proof that you owe them the debt DO NOT PAY!!!!!! You have the right to know who you owe, how you came to owe it, and exactly how much it really is. They have to provide you an address. I would not talk to them on the phone. I am pretty new to this board too, but from reading what is here your whole scenario with this ca sounds like a scam to me. 

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Hunter Warfield

4620 Woodland Corporate Boulevard  

Tampa, FL 33614

Send a DV to them at this address.   See what they send back.  Make a paper trail when dealing with them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Hunter Warfield

4620 Woodland Corporate Boulevard  

Tampa, FL 33614

Send a DV to them at this address.   See what they send back.  Make a paper trail when dealing with them.

They are difficult, but usually work off assigned debt meaning they will likely validate this debt.

Send a DV asap, but be prepared to settle on this if you owe this debt.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

You could also try to contact the place you owe the back rent to and settle it.

Put it this way. you DO NOT WANT Hunter Warfield on your credit report. They are almost impossible to remove.

I would take the payments to be honest with you

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies, really helped me keep my cool. I have stopped answering calls from HW (come in 1-2 times daily with a corresponding "friendly" voicemail) and contacted the OC. They are willing to pull the account from HW (I presume this means it is in fact assigned credit?) if I pay them in full, which I shall be doing quite shortly. Meanstwhile can I answer a call and tell "Rick" to stop calling me or do I need to send a written letter for it to be legitimate? Once I've paid the OC how do I go about warding HW off? I have a feeling they are going to keep calling until I do something to prove I've paid the debt. Also, how do I ensure that they will not file a report once the debt is paid? Or if they do is it disputable from my end once the debt is paid?

Oh I also did a credit check and as of now I'm pretty clean, a couple student loans listed on there but they are all in good standing.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.