Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Husbands medical bill on my CR

tag
Txmomof3
Established Member

Husbands medical bill on my CR

I am working on cleaning up my credit..yay, I can't believe how fun it is!  

Anyway I called today about a medical collection on my CR and EQ told me who it is from and the original balance.  Well it turns out it is from a CAT scan my husband had done at an imaging place a few years back.  I definitely didn't sign any paperwork or agree to any billing from them (it billed insurance and this must have been the portion that our medical ins didn't cover).  

Are they allowed to try to collect from me just because we are married?

It has been sent to collections...do I send a DV to the CA and hope they realize it isn't mine.  Or should I call the OC and ask them to look up any accounts I might have and when they see it is his ask them to pull it back from collections?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Husbands medical bill on my CR

google hipaa letter. follow directions.  should work.  no, no one here can link you to it publicly.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@Txmomof3 wrote:

I am working on cleaning up my credit..yay, I can't believe how fun it is!  

Anyway I called today about a medical collection on my CR and EQ told me who it is from and the original balance.  Well it turns out it is from a CAT scan my husband had done at an imaging place a few years back.  I definitely didn't sign any paperwork or agree to any billing from them (it billed insurance and this must have been the portion that our medical ins didn't cover).  

Are they allowed to try to collect from me just because we are married?

Good question, I dont know for sure but IMO, I dont think you are responsible.....You may have to check your state laws on this one or contact an attorney.

Maybe other more knowledgeable people will chime in on this one.

It has been sent to collections...do I send a DV to the CA and hope they realize it isn't mine.  Or should I call the OC and ask them to look up any accounts I might have and when they see it is his ask them to pull it back from collections?

I would contact the OC, and ask why they listed you as the person responsible.

Also ask the OC if they still own the debt, if they do ask if you can make payments, and pull back the CA.

If they sold the debt to the CA,  then you have no choice but to deal with them.Try to keep the CA off of the CR's. 

You can use a PFD letter if its on the CR's,that means you'll pay if they will delete.Get everything in writing and

the agreement in your hands first before paying.Example of a PFD letter is in the Freq Req Threads.

If not reported on the CR's yet, modify a PFD letter....to say pay for not reporting..Good Luck to youSmiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Was your husband covered under your insurance plan when the CT scan was performed?   Were you identified as a guarantor on any insurance plan that you and your husband had?

Message 4 of 7
Txmomof3
Established Member

To answer some questions our insurance is in my husbands name and through his Employer.

I just got off the phone with the OC whom looked up the bill and verified it was from service provided to my husband.  She said they did sent it to collections under my husbands name but they DID NOT sent it under my name nor place it for collection on me.  I don't know how true this is but it seemed like she could see this in her system.  She said it has been sold to the CA and gave me their name/number.  She did keep telling me that as a married couple I am responsible for part of the bill....please tell me this is BS! Smiley Mad  Oh and I want to add that this only reports on Equifax so should I just call them and do a dispute?

What is my next step?  Dispute it with the CRA's that is isn't mine?  Contact the CA and DV?  If I request a DV will they see it isn't mine and remove it?  Do I call them since she said they never sent it in my name and tell them this?

I am trying to clean up my score fast so the quickest route is the one I want to take.

Thanks for all your responses!

Message 5 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I would dispute with EQ as not mine.

As for whether you are responsible, i think that varies state to state.....i dont know..  maybe others will chime inSmiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 7
nursekb
Valued Member

Hello just some information regarding this- whatever you do just take care of this bill. This happened to my husband and I- he was seen over a year ago in the ER dept. At the time we did not have health insurance- I had just started a new job and was in the 30 day period waiting for benefits to kick in- to make a long story short my husband did not follow through with  making timely payments the hospital did not send the bill to CA we were served papers for a judgment- due to not making payments quickly- I am the one who had stable income so of course I now have a judgment on my CR for services I did not receive- we tried to settle the amount of $3393 out of court but they would not take $2500. Of course I am pissed- the lady was very rude and did not want to work with us. We spoke with a lawyer and because we are married they can come after the spouse. It stinks but that is one of the joys of being married.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.