cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Feel Like I am Stuck in an Inescapable Pit.

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I Feel Like I am Stuck in an Inescapable Pit.

@jamie237 wrote:

You don't have to be gentle with me at all. I completely understand the bad choices I have made to get myself in this situation. Many of the debts were made when we were together and I had expectations of a six figure income to pay the bills off. I have been carrying the balances on some of these cards for two or three years. Many of the expenses were also from furnishing a new house. I left in such a hurry I only loaded what I could fit in my VW Jetta and drove from Virginia to Missouri. 

I work for the state, and I agree the income is too low. The wages in the criminal justice system are appalling. I need to look at other options, but for now it is a starting point for me. 

My monthly expenses are as follows, keeping in mind this is a realistic view of what I am doing right now, which needs to change.

Rent $950

Electric $120

Internet $60

Trash $20

Lawn Care $80

Groceries $500

Dry Goods/Health Care $150

Auto Insurance $125

Auto Maintenance $50

Fuel $250

Student Loans $100

Credit Cards $1000 (Minimum)

Pet Care $300 (daughter has a pony I am trying to find placement for)

Dining out $200 (Need to eliminate)

Clothing $50

Entertainment $100

Total $4355.

Income $3021

-$1334

Smiley Sad

You have 2 choices, the first is increase your income the other is cut $1334 out of the monthly spend. I would only be paying what absolutely has to be paid and let the rest ride. You might even consider a BK13 or BK7 if you are not able to increase the income. Best wishes to you Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I Feel Like I am Stuck in an Inescapable Pit.

When tackling debt like that, it requires serious commitment (not just understanding) to changing your habits. I'm a single mom as well who lived on $35 a week for groceries when I was paying off debt. We didn't have the luxury of internet, (gassssppppp!) and we didn't eat out, ever.. My house was filled with furniture from a second hand store, my son got new clothes twice a year and I went almost 4 years without buying ONE thing for myself. No clothes, shoes, purses, nothing. Entertainment....ha! We entertained ourselves for free. My son spent some time "entertaining" himself while push mowing the yard, too! Smiley Wink  I guarantee I taught my son more about being responsible in those 4 years, than he will ever learn any where else. He learned sacrifice, determination and also taught me how to see what was really important in life.  I'm now able to provide him luxuries that we couldn't afford before, because I got in front of the mountain of debt I had, tackled it and now live debt free.  I'm in MO too, btw.

You know how it feels to swipe the card without worry, so use that as motivation to be strict. Have a sit down with your kids and explain how things are going to change, enlist them in helping you meet your goals. I'd recommend Dave Ramseys debt snowball advice, tackle the smallest debt first and move up. If your only debts are the ones listed, plus student loans, it doesn't look like BK is much of an option because of the relatively "small" debt amount.  

Just a few things....Can you take care of your own lawn care needs? A new push mower is $150, weedeater $100. That saves you $700 in your first year, alone. Can you grow a garden to help with grocery costs? Does your job require that you have internet at home?  Are your clothing and entertainment costs really necessary? Have you looked for cheaper housing? Also, as mentioned already, do you have family or friends that can loan you the money to pay the debt off, so that you're not getting interest and fees compounded? 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.