cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Got Bamboozled by a CA! What to do now?

tag
EvolvingCreditDiva2
Valued Member

I Got Bamboozled by a CA! What to do now?

So, I opened a piece of mail that stated that I had 65 days from the date of the letter to pay the CA for some sort of municipal ticket from March of this year before it's reported to the credit bureaus. However, I never received anything previously about this ticket and am totally unaware of where it could've come from. But since rebuilding has been going so well, I call them up to pay the $200 (ouch!) before it reports so it doesn't mess up all the hard work I've been doing. This same CA is killing my TransUnion score with 13 municipal collections. I've been saving to try to PIF for a PFD, but still wanted to take care of this one immediately before it reports. Well, the CA answers the phone and she quotes my maiden name and an old address from over 7 years ago. I made the mistake of telling her that was an old address and name & is not even the name or address on the letter they mailed to me. She then proceeded to add on $600 more in tickets from that address stating that I already confirmed the address. She then says I have more tickets on the credit report and I would only get this one-time offer today to pay them all in full for in turn for deletion. I told her that first of all, I didn't even have a car when I was at the address so I had no clue what she was talking about. I also told her that I'd been saving for the last 6 months to gather all the money to pay them for the items on my credit report at once, even though I was unsure that they were mine, but wanted to get rid of them off my report. We basically ended up in a yelling match as she tried to get me to verify more info in an attempt to "help" me, at which time I told her I wasn't verifying anything else since she wants to just keep adding crap that I still don't believe belongs to me. In the end, I told her I was only going to do what I originally called for- pay the ONE ticket before it starts reporting per the letter I was sent.

Now I'm wondering...can they now put the extra $600 from tickets from an address over 7 years ago on my credit report?? Wouldn't the DOFD still be set at the 7 years ago that I was there? Someone please chime in and help Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: I Got Bamboozled by a CA! What to do now?

You are correct.

If they do report a collection, they must provide the DOFD to the CRA.

The CRA then monitors the DOFD, and cannot, per FCRA 605(c), include the collection in any credit report they issue after 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

In most cases, the CRA will exclude at 7 years in order to give themselves a cushion against the stat. max date.

You can send a request for debt validation to the debt collector, which will impose a cease collection bar on them provided the DV is sent within 30 days of your receipt of their collection (dunning) notice.

Message 2 of 4
EvolvingCreditDiva2
Valued Member

Thanks Robert! I've noticed your great advice often on the forum & really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I was so furious at first as she was a sneaky lil devil! Then I thought about how long ago I lived there, but thought they might be able to still report it since it was freshly verified due to my silly mistake & add today as the DOFD Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing to keep in mind about dealing with CAs -  many of them want to get you upset and emotionally involved in defending yourself against what they say about you, and the way they say it.

IMHO - when the first CA told you 'today only - you have to take this deal - wont be available again' - etc etc   That means she wanted you to settle with her on that day so she would get the 'sale' at that moment.

The very first thing I think of when someone says 'today only, and right now only' is that it is almost certain it is not in my best interests to do this.  I'm Ok with missing the best deal and not saving 100 bucks, but thinking it over and coming back and only saving 95 or 90.

Most of my offers to settle with CAs were done in writing by US Mail.  It removes the emotional element for me.  Once in awhile I had a CA that was business like and non confrontational and I could agree on the phone, but I always got signed agreements before making the payment or payment arrangement.

hth

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.