Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HATE EQUIFAX

tag
kevinlee28
New Contributor

I HATE EQUIFAX

i posted previously about this issue and i'm getting even more frustrated and i wanted to see if anybody has some good advice for me....

I had a collection account with Commenwealth Financial for First BANK Of DE. i paid it off thru Commenwealth and was given a PFD. Commenwealth does not report the debt currently, BUT the same debt is being reported ONLY TO EQUIFAX but under the CA Northeast Credit & Collections. i did my research because i wanted to reach out to Northeast about this and i learned that this CA is no longer in BUSINESS! THEY WERE TOOK OVER BY COMMONWEALTH. i provided a copy of the PFD letter from Commonwealth to EQUIFAX stating that this should not be reporting but they refuse to honor the letter and are claiming that the debt was verifed with the COMPANY- a COMPANY THAT IS CLOSED! what should i do? I'm extremely frustrated i could cry not to mention the debt was from 2008.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: I HATE EQUIFAX

I would remind the of their obligation under the FCRA and I would file a complaint against them with the FTC.

Message 2 of 25
bear812c
Regular Contributor

I hate them too. They refused to remove the dispute comme...

I hate them too. They refused to remove the dispute comments from mine and my husband's files (required for us to get mortgage finalization) even though all the other credit bureaus were able to remove those comments with no problems from the same CA's. When I called them with a report number on my husbands credit (I told her I was calling in regards to my husbands credit report) the idiot that answered the phone had me give her his report number, his date of birth, his social security number and our address and THEN told me that she could not talk to me about his report. Literrally asked me for all of his identifying information just to tell me she can not talk to me. I said- Then why did you ask me for all of his private information??? I said I just want to know why these comments were not removed and she still could not tell me anything. File a complaint with FCRA. It won't do anything but at least it's something.

Message 3 of 25
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

I would remind the of their obligation under the FCRA and I would file a complaint against them with the FTC.

What oblgation and what issue?

To me, it sounds like Commonweatlth, who upon purchase of the previous collection company took complete control and ownership of the accounts, has verified. If it is being verified, that is an eOscar issue, meaning Commonwealth is the party at fault here in my opinion...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

How can Commonwealth be at fault when they are not reporting the debt?

It would be with the new CA.

I would stop disputing and send a direct dispute to the currently reporting CA, along with the letter from Commonwealth showing the debt was paid and deleted from your CR.

Message 5 of 25
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

To me, it sounds like Commonweatlth, who upon purchase of the previous collection company took complete control and ownership of the accounts, has verified. If it is being verified, that is an eOscar issue, meaning Commonwealth is the party at fault here in my opinion...

-scott

Scott I was referring to EQ, The OP has a letter stating it should not be reporting and if EQ is refusing to use the letter shame on them. They are the ones not following the FCRA. 

Message 6 of 25
starry1
Valued Contributor

I would open a dispute with the CFPB.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 7 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

@rckstrscott wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

-scott

Scott I was referring to EQ, The OP has a letter stating it should not be reporting and if EQ is refusing to use the letter shame on them. They are the ones not following the FCRA. 

The problem with that is, the letter is from a CA not reporting.

Message 8 of 25
kevinlee28
New Contributor

but NORTHEAST CREDIT & COLLECTIONS IS NOT EVEN OPEN ANY MORE! and i did send them the letter stating who it was paid with and deleted. they are saying its verified with a CLOSED business.

Message 9 of 25
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

@rckstrscott wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

-scott

The problem with that is, the letter is from a CA not reporting.

If Commonwealth bought the CA, they assume all ownershiip rights and responsibilities of the company.. correct? Therefor, they are now one in the same.. this isn't the case of CA selling an account, this a case of a company becoming another one..  I believe this is still a Commonwealth issue, because this company is now Commonwealth.. I am basing it on this quote from the OP:

" BUT the same debt is being reported ONLY TO EQUIFAX but under the CA Northeast Credit & Collections. i did my research because i wanted to reach out to Northeast about this and i learned that this CA is no longer in BUSINESS! THEY WERE TOOK OVER BY COMMONWEALTH."

I don't think this is a case of a NEW CA reporting, its a CA reporting that no longer exists, because it was eaten whole by Commenwealth. Commonewealth, by purchasing the entire company, assumes ALL operating and reporting for account aquired in the purchase. Therefor, this reporting is their issue.

As I said this is an opinion; I am quite certain I have been wrong before. But I dealt with this exact situation.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.