Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I NEED MAJOR ADVICE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I NEED MAJOR ADVICE

ok Im new here y'all (nice to meet you all), and Im now 30 kinda late but im so ready to fix my credit

my scores currently: EQ: 571, TU: 610, EX:610

i have a secured first preimer card with 300 balance that I have had since 2012 with no increase in limit at all. I hadnt always done right by it but recently since the last 4 to 5 months its been good. currently just paid down to 90$ which is 30% and got no score increase and it shows reported in my alerts? wonder why?

I have a credit union secured master card with a 500 limit that i have had for almost a year and recently paid it down to 150$ which is 30% that one wont hit credit until november 10th

My aunt added me as a AU to her capital one credit card with a limit of 750 and I recently paid it down for her to 225 which is 30% but wont see that hit until november 12th

I also have a fingerhut card with 200 limit had that for a year never used it so i recently just bought something for 30% of that amount and will pay it off in full.

hopefully those 2 cards wil allow my scores to go up

as far as collections yes i know if I owe them then pay them and I have been disputing and paying people to help me dipute with no major results. Lexington law has robbed me of so much money I might as well have paid off the collections myself.

I have recently negotiated a settlement with some medical bills that are in collections waiting on a letter of agreement.

Im lost and kind of just winging it can anyone tell me how to increase my scores the fastest trying to purchase a home and would love to clean the credit up in the process.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I NEED MAJOR ADVICE

Welcome! Congrats on taking steps to pull your credit into a better position. Mods might move this to understanding fico side.

One thing stands out the most that "is" holding back your scores. Utilization is a biggie and one the areas to gain points. Hopefully you're pulling your Fico 8 scores by what you listed. Get each of those accounts 10% or less, preferrably to 9% or less, you'll see some point gains. Your post would get a lot of responses.

In terms of the disputing, do those yourself don't pay anyone for that, it's button presses on each bureaus websites and it's also a way to see whats still on your credit report. Typically you have 7 1/2 years from date of first delinquency for those collections to drop. Negative payments on still active accounts 7 years from the date they first reported in most cases. After I found this site I did my own and proud to say finally I have nothing negative but some late pays on student loans that have to age off, they refused to remove them although I was in deferment at the time.

One thing I always recommend when I see "I want to buy a house" talk to a lender, let them pull your scores and reports most will do it at no cost for a pre-qualifcation (or if you end up doing the mortgage with them it's added into your closing cost later) but I say that cause I'm a real estate agent and it's a common concern when people start looking.

A lender can tell you what will cause you to not be approved and what needs to be removed to make it through underwriting. Surprisingly a lot of people go through clean up and never had to anything at all from the lenders view. It depends on what the collections are, Medical is one that can often be waived. Also on those, make sure you get with your insurance company if you had insurance and make sure they were not paid and you are being hit with zombie debt cause some biller was too lazy to do their job then sent it to collections.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok awesome and thanks for the feedback I was starting to think nobody would reply.

Thats why Im confused as to why I would pay the medical bills for the mortgage but Im really doing it to help bring my scores up because the credit repair person Im getting advice from states that new debts in collections 24months old are hurting my scores tremendously no matter what they are.

Its confusing for sure and I just want better scores and better credit to make way for a better life for my family

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ok awesome and thanks for the feedback I was starting to think nobody would reply.

Thats why Im confused as to why I would pay the medical bills for the mortgage but Im really doing it to help bring my scores up because the credit repair person Im getting advice from states that new debts in collections 24months old are hurting my scores tremendously no matter what they are.

Its confusing for sure and I just want better scores and better credit to make way for a better life for my family

My sum

30y.o.

FP $300 (4 yrs) 30%

CU M/C $500 (`1yr) 30% (at update)

FH $200 (1yr) 30% (at update…due to recent spend)

A/U on Cap1 (age ?) 30% (at update)

Collections within 24 months…been working w/ LL and some repair dude

1st off all this credit guru ‘hate’ is over stated …yes disputing can be

1. Too simplistic an approach and too often it is the ‘only’ thing too many ppl see as restoration (thanks, a lot to the WalMart of repair LL) problem is they are a single focus checker player in a chess match.
  2. Disputes aren’t the be-all for everything. And certainly one doesn’t normally BUILD a credit profile by disputing alone.

A true credit enhancement project consist of a well-balanced plan and attack. And quite honestly the ‘you can do it yourself’ crowd can be as tone death as the dispute-only pushers.

The fact is every case is going to be unique…yet we humans love headlines and ‘simple’ one-size for all slogans.

Some ppl don’t need real estate professionals but the NAR and Phil Dunphy might disagree every time…same thing with credit repair, it just depends on how hairy the situation and how well versed the subject is prior to setting sail on said journey…it’s a crap shoot, especially possible not knowing what one doesn’t know, until after the fact!

I always remind ppl that H & R Block doesn’t use any laws or deductions that one couldn’t find, use or apply for themselves….however close to 70% of ppl PAY a pro to do their taxes for a reason.

So just TELLING the general public that they CAN DO IT on their own can be going a bit too far…after all taxes can be redone, refilled like 3 years back but screwing up your credit rebuild can cost a lot more than one tax filing.

Remember this is a public that knows some of the ppl doing their taxes just took the 2 week course the company was advertising with the spinning sign guy and ppl still drive in and say ‘you do it’ but we think most ppl can competently do a better managing repairing their credit and financial reputation….right!

Not a 1040EZ but the financial key to just about all life’s financial doors, this is the one to play with…yeah that makes sense?

Yes, there are hacks that don’t do a great job in this space…same as barbers, realtors and lawyers but to say in general it’s ‘waste’ of money to get help from a person with knowledge and experience goes too far.

Seeking qualified ‘better’ help yes…belittling the value of experienced knowledgeable= short sighted

(again info is one thing knowing how to put things in practice is quite another).

Knowing about a law, even reading what SUPPOSEDLY ‘is’ going to happen if one does X is many times a different story in real life.

Like they say anybody can TRAIN to fight but you don’t know what or whom you’re dealing with until the fight starts…

Everybody looks great shadowboxing but in life the punching bag hits back…Now what?

That’s where  and when ‘help’ becomes important, problem is one doesn’t know when or how the bag is gonna swing

( sounds like a realtor speaking to a FSBO about listing huh?)

OP

Either your advisors aren’t saying clearly or you’re not hearing them correctly

30% should be your MAX debt ratio not your Goal ratio

I advise my clients to use 20% as a ‘base’ ratio…25% as an oh snip…30% as a Stop-drop-& Roll

Next, it isn’t ‘best practice’ to have a balance of any % on every card in your profile…

it seems some how it’s been translated that your goal is to have all accounts reporting at 30%.

When it should be all accounts at 0%, except one at 1-9%..obviously this is a huge difference, so there is a communication breakdown somewhere..

because we’re talking night and day difference.

Which is likely why, you’re banging your head for 4 years with a $300 CL

(again, a knowledge gap that has to be closed somehow and it’s less likely done ALONE…Free or not)

I’m not sure if the A/U card with the aunt was for age or not but the FP is 4 years old itself, so it’d be interesting to know what positive was pitched in having that account,especially since it had to be PAID DOWN just to get to 30%.

An A/U is only of any real use for ‘aging’ if you have none,

to help provide data for scoring if you’re dead empty, like a total credit ghost and really only if the debt load is outstanding,

otherwise..it’s an anchor not a help (in this case right now, it seems of no use b/c it is as debt/loaded as every card on the profile)

but it makes sense if one is under the impression that all cards need to show 30% usage…once the wrong idea is floated it spreads, just hurting a person over and over.

Granted, this is a good thing because once a person ‘gets’ what needs to be changed bam, easy fixes baby!

This used to happen to me back in school…we’d trade papers in math then ‘ya know go over the answers..there were times I’d get every one wrong, because if you learn it wrong or hear it wrong, you do it wrong…then after seeing it correctly I’d never get it wrong again to the point of being accused of cheating, because

they’d ask how could you go from 0% to 100%...I’d say once you get it, you got it, if you actively pay attention, and have something to lose at stake...

This is what I heard when the OP said 'for a better life FOR MY FAMILY' that struck a nerve with me...when a person VALUES getting it right they'll hang in

long enough to correct, misunderstandings and never look back or get it wrong again

BEST TO YOU OP...Good Luck!

You need help PM me!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ok Im new here y'all (nice to meet you all), and Im now 30 kinda late but im so ready to fix my credit

my scores currently: EQ: 571, TU: 610, EX:610

i have a secured first preimer card with 300 balance that I have had since 2012 with no increase in limit at all. I hadnt always done right by it but recently since the last 4 to 5 months its been good. currently just paid down to 90$ which is 30% and got no score increase and it shows reported in my alerts? wonder why?

I have a credit union secured master card with a 500 limit that i have had for almost a year and recently paid it down to 150$ which is 30% that one wont hit credit until november 10th

My aunt added me as a AU to her capital one credit card with a limit of 750 and I recently paid it down for her to 225 which is 30% but wont see that hit until november 12th

I also have a fingerhut card with 200 limit had that for a year never used it so i recently just bought something for 30% of that amount and will pay it off in full.

hopefully those 2 cards wil allow my scores to go up

as far as collections yes i know if I owe them then pay them and I have been disputing and paying people to help me dipute with no major results. Lexington law has robbed me of so much money I might as well have paid off the collections myself.

I have recently negotiated a settlement with some medical bills that are in collections waiting on a letter of agreement.

Im lost and kind of just winging it can anyone tell me how to increase my scores the fastest trying to purchase a home and would love to clean the credit up in the process.

To maximize your credit scores you will want at least three credit cards allow only one to report a balance each month for less than 10% of that card's limit, you will also want an installment loan Alliant Credit Union has a share secured loan which will work for this as both membership and the loan are done with soft pulls see the following link. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756 Continue to work for pay for deletes on negative accounts but if they won't budge pay them and start a good will campaign after that.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.