cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Poked The Bear With A PTD Letter. Now What?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Poked The Bear With A PTD Letter. Now What?

I sent out a few PTD letters to see how it would work out. One of them was to Portfolio Recoveries Associates for a Capital One debt. It was previously listed on my CR as a Capital One debt sold to PRA. A couple of days after they must have received my PTD letter PRA added their own collections account for the same debt. So now the same debt is recorded twice. Is there anything I can do?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
eric19k
Established Contributor

Re: I Poked The Bear With A PTD Letter. Now What?

One of the collections should list $0 balance. If the amounts are the same then just dispute it
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 2 of 5
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

If you have a smart phone use or download a call recorder, let them know you're also recording and get them to agree to do a pfd over phone. Faster and easier than snail mail, email, etc.
Capital One Platinum | $1,500Discover IT | $1,800Victoria's Secret Angel VIP | $500Citi Secured | $200
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If I am reading the scenario correctly, the OC was reporting and sold the debt, and now the debt collector is also reporting.

If that is the situation, it is proper, and not duplicate reporting.

The OC is reporting actions such as derogs while they owned the debt, and then their sale.  They should, upon sale of the debt, update the balance on debt owed to them to $0. 

The debt collector reporting is separate, and reflects the fact of their current collection on the debt.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

I'm peeved since PRA weren't reporting it and it's been over a year. But seems that this is correct then. Ugh! 

I'm not confident enough yet to deal with these things over the phone. I'm worried I may say the wrong thing.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.