Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am ecstatic!!!

tag
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

I am ecstatic!!!

After three years of cancer treatments I have been left with nearly $75,000 in medical bills AFTER insurance.  I couldn't even make the minimum payment on each account as there were so many of them.  I decided to attack one at a time.  I called and offered to pay for deletion (negotiating anywhere from 50% to 80% for deletion I have paid off a little over $10,000).  So far all of the collections agencies have been wonderful except for one.  They were complete A$$es.  They were rude, threatening etc.  They were successful in getting a judgment against me for $50,000!!!!

I wanted to settle and worked out a loan with the bank so I could settle at around 30%.  They still wouldn't talk - why should they, they have the judgement already.  Anyways, I went to the hospital and took all my papers, tax returns, pay check stubs etc and told them I didn't know what to do with the collection agency that they turned my bills over to them.  The garnishment would last well past my natural life.  The hospital listened.  Last night I got home from work and in my mail box was a statement saying I had a zero balance.  WHAT???  I called them at 8:03 this morning and it is true!!!  They forgave right at $38,000 in medical bills!!! WOW!!!

I next called the collection agency that holds the garnisment.  This time they were as nice as can be and said they were notified not to collect on the $38,000.  The remaining $11,000 is from a different hospital!!!  I do owe right at $1000 in attorney fees that I will gladly pay in exchange for the $38,000 being forgiven. 

I also called a few other billing offices that have medical bills with that have been turned over to collections.  I had another $10,000 forgiven with those phone calls.  All in all, I am down to under $15,000 left. 

I can't stop crying.  I felt so silly talking to the lady at the radiology clinic when she said "All your bills are forgiven.  You can stop making payments."  I couldn't stop crying and than she started crying and saying I made her day.  This is better than any Christmas I have ever had!!!

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
leesa88
New Contributor

Re: I am ecstatic!!!

Thats Fantastic! Congradulations, what a relief.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 11
westo12
Established Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  I had about $15k in debt forgiven, I cried for MONTHS lol.  Just relax and breathe if you can now.  Smiley Happy

I've learned that, at least with medical bills, it NEVER hurts to call and try and get a hardship reduction.  None of us ever plan to accumulate medical debt and depending on your current financial situation, you may be a prime candidate for one!! Smiley Happy 

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 3 of 11
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

I just read this, and I couldn't help but cry some tears of joy for you myself :-)

This is wonderful, and I'm so glad it happened for you!

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 4 of 11
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

I got tears in my eyes reading this too! 

Congrats on the debt forgiveness.

And many blessings to your health!

Message 5 of 11
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Hell I started feeling a little emotional after reading this too. But I'm at work and I'm a guy. Must hold it in!

Message 6 of 11
Asailorshort
Regular Contributor

Congrats Kathy! Lovehearing success stories like this ... Even if they make me cry.

Starting FICO 667 (5/2012) EQ
672 (7/2012) EQ. 681 (8/1/12) EQ
Current FICO 682 (10/13/12) EQ; 718 (10/13/12) TU
Goal: 760+ but 700-720 by jan 2013
No new apps tll jul 2013
Message 7 of 11
annielorie
Valued Contributor

God works in mysterious ways. Very happy for you.Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 8 of 11
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Ahhh, thanks guys and gals.  I do indeed feel blessed but the story goes on....

I went into the other hospital that holds the remaining balance on the judgment and told her my situation again.  She listened than said "I think we can help you like hte other hospital did."  The two hospitals are owned by the same non profit group but in different cities.  I didn't call and make an appointment either.  I went in person and talked to patient accounts billing.  I told her I wanted to work out a settlement so I could take out a loan with my bank and get the garnishment to stop.  She said she would be in contact with me within three weeks.  I will keep you posted.  If I can get this one taken care of I will be down to $3058 until I am debt free (all medical bills).  I started at $75,000 and 28 collection accounts (again all medical) on my credit reprot.  I think I have 14 collections still on but numerous should fall off since I have been PFD on all but the judgment.  

On the note about God working in mysterious ways.  Two weeks ago in church I got an urge to tithe at the moment I was writing my check.  I knew I couldn't afford it as I have been putting every extra dime into my medical bills.  But I said a prayer and trusted God  and the whole thing about Him taking care of you when you need it and wrote the check and dropped it in the collection plate.  The next Sunday came around and I wrote the normal check (not tithing) and remember thinking to myself - well it didn't work out so well last week (I was down to under $10 in my checking account and 3 days until payday with no gas in the car and I didn't want to use my VISA that I got to help build my credit score).   Lesson learned.  Regardless of what I owe I will be tithing tomorrow and every Sunday.  I also plan to volunteer and somehow make contributions to the hospital once the rest of my medical bills are gone.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 9 of 11
CC40
Regular Contributor

Woman  - you gotta STOP!  You are gonna have everybody leaking!  Smiley Happy  That is wonderful!  Thanks for sharing.  It made my day.  Faith will take you a long way!  I am so glad you survived the ugly c-word to have to fix all this stuff.  Celebrate life and enjoy!  Best wishes on your future.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.