Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't stay in the garden.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't stay in the garden.

I think I'm going to have to freeze my reports.  I can't stop apping.  It's like crack. 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I can't stay in the garden.

It requires discipline if you are going to frequent the boards. I personally see no reason to rush off in any of the latest crazes; if you get caught up in such things you need to change the way you look at your credit.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I'm going to have to freeze my reports.  I can't stop apping.  It's like crack. 

LOL, it sure is, isn't it?

Message 3 of 24
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

That's pretty sad...

Just take a realistic approach.  Look at your scores...  and then think about how every CC app you do will drop your score 15 points.

Bet you'll stay in the garden...

If your sig is accurate that 649 584 613 is going to get you a lot more denials than approvals anyway.  No point in continuing to drag down your scores...

... unless the constant denials is the crack you were referring to?

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 4 of 24
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

That's pretty sad...

Just take a realistic approach.  Look at your scores...  and then think about how every CC app you do will drop your score 15 points.

If your sig is accurate that 649 584 613 is going to get you a lot more denials than approvals anyway.  No point in continuing to drag down your scores...

A little harsh, but good advice nonetheless. This is a long haul process, continuously apping just lowers your ceiling again and again and will take away your ability to get non-toy limits and stick you with the highest APRs. "Gardening" is really an apt word for this, you have to be patient. Giving in to what you want right now will harm your chance to have what you ultimately want.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

That's pretty sad...

The Mariners suck.

Message 6 of 24
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@tiger_uppercut wrote:

A little harsh, but good advice nonetheless. This is a long haul process, continuously apping just lowers your ceiling again and again and will take away your ability to get non-toy limits and stick you with the highest APRs. "Gardening" is really an apt word for this, you have to be patient. Giving in to what you want right now will harm your chance to have what you ultimately want.

I don't see what's harsh about it.

People comparing CC apps to drug addictions is just a bit overboard IMHO.  All it requires is a little determination and willpower... if you don't have those you will most definitely fail.

I gardened for 2014 because I had a goal of Sallie Mae, Discover and Amex at the end of the year... and a new car.  I got everything I wanted.

I most definitely don't wake up in a cold sweat thinking about applying for a Chase card.

@Anonymous wrote:

The Mariners suck.

A few of the geniuses over at ESPN have picked them to suck all the way to a World Series berth...  We'll see.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 7 of 24
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@tiger_uppercut wrote:

I don't see what's harsh about it.

People comparing CC apps to drug addictions is just a bit overboard IMHO.  All it requires is a little determination and willpower... if you don't have those you will most definitely fail.

I gardened for 2014 because I had a goal of Sallie Mae, Discover and Amex at the end of the year... and a new car.  I got everything I wanted.

I most definitely don't wake up in a cold sweat thinking about applying for a Chase card.

@Anonymous wrote:

The Mariners suck.

A few of the geniuses over at ESPN have picked them to suck all the way to a World Series berth...  We'll see.

It was the tone and the "denials/crack" part of it for me. As I said, I agreed with the sentiment wholeheartedly.

And Seattle? Which ESPN genius? I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenge for the AL West, but WS is a stretch. Although I don't see any runaway freight trains in the AL this year, so who knows.

Message 8 of 24
Pway
Valued Contributor

Now that I am gardening I look at some of my cards and ask myself why do I have all these cards.  I have cards at stores that I will never shop at or maybe only around the holidays.  I will keep them because some I took the HP for. I got a lot of them from reading the boards.  During this time of gardening I must keep from applying.  I will need to buy a new card at the end of the year and I want to have the best scores possible.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stay strong.  We're all in this together.  We can do it!  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.