Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't know where to start

tag
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

Re: I don't know where to start

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello.  I've been lurking this site for hours and want to cry because of the abundance of info available.  Thank you in advance!

At the same time I'm so frustrated with myself for being in this place but I've had a very stressful few years and I know I'm not alone bUT I'm a firm believer in *know better do better* ... I need your help.

I'm a DV survivor and have struggled to work and maintain my finances since 2008.  But my credit score never dipped below 600 because of the positive status on my student loans since 2000.  In 2012, I purchased a car through a bait and switch dealer and was stuck with a ridiculous monthly car note.... 445... 2k down.... on a used auto.  Didn't realize what happened until the forms came in the mail and struggled to pay loan with insurance as long as I could.  My mother was dagnosed with COPD and having little children wirked intermittently and had to make tough decisions about bills.

Apparently my student loans although in good standing wi the the DOE were sold to Navient aka Sallie Mae and when I finally was able to speak with someone when their systems were working never explained that somehow my loans were getting ready to be sent to collections.  I refused their terms as I only had child support coming in at 450 per month and 20 wasn't doable.

Ex tried to pay car loan since he was using it but neglected to pay for insurance and license/car suspended.  My mother passed almost a year ago and I finally went back to work part time in sept 2015 through a temp making 2/3 of my prior salary.. 21hr.  But with small children and high expenses I barely have any funds left over. The NFP is hiring me full time in January but because of their budget constraints I'll only make 40k.

Bottom line. My CR is shot.  It could be worse but thankful I'm at 550 and 520 with TU and EQ, respectively.  I don't know which issue to tackle first.  The car loan is 11k past due.  Payoff is 22k. They're willing to settle for 10k.  With my credit idk who will approve me. I'm afraid to apply to avoid any hard dings... they referred me to Carmax in CT ... I'm in Manhattan.

I read rehabbing may work but Navient reps are not like DOE reps and I'm leery of them.  I'm with MCU but again... one repo from 2008- couldn't make final years payment on car loan and turned in my truck only owing 5k to pay daughter's tuition.   I didn't know a thing about refinancing and trade in deals were horrible.

My goal is to get student loans back on track to eventually apply for loan forgiveness through my employer.  Put the car back on the road and use payments to clear credit. Repair credit. Purchase a condo/coop within 3 years. My child support order has been modified and as long as he pays I'll have 800 per month.

Any advice is welcomed and will be followed.  Thank you in advance.

K.

Hello it certainly does sound like you have a lot going. Congrats on your new employment opportunity btw. With this statement^^^, honestly at this point I wouldn't worry about hard pulls at all right now. I'm a big fan of lists, so I'd sit down and write out a "priority" list. Getting this new job with a decent steady income rolling in will be a tremendous shot in the arm, and it will make things easier for you going forward.

I can't comment on the student loan issue other than to say try to get payments going as soon as you're able to. If you let some of your creditors know you've got a new employment opportunity coming, they might be more flexible in working with you.

As for the car, do you have other means of transportation if you were to sell it? With your current scores, most lenders will fall into the sub-prime possibly predatory category. I think you said your current payment is $445, is there any way you can talk with the leinholder and see if they'll modify your contract to where you're able to keep it? The reason I ask is because I've gotten 2 or 3 sub prime used auto loans (I'm talking 20% interest) and the payments were close to 445/mo. I'm afraid you may end up in the same boat

One item on my credit is a voluntary surrender. I eventually went back and settled with them and it reports as such. After a year of GW, they won't budge and it's often an achilles heel for me. If you end up having to give it back, I agree with a previous post to take the 10k offer and run.

Oh and on a personal note, going forward try budget off of your income alone and not rely on child support. I asked for my spouse not to pay but the judge ordered her to anyways. I don't really need it as it's a tiny amount but I notice that she pays randomly at best.

To summarize, I'd do the following:

1. Work on modifying current car loan to where the lender will let you keep it.

2. Get the student loans back into positive status

3. After you start your new job, try apping for the cap one platinum or secured card

Good luck with everything and keep lurking and posting!

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Fire! Yes. It's not much money but I have to start somewhere!

Sad thing with that auto deal my credit was at 620 and I put 2k down for a 2009 fully loaded Nissan altima. They saw me coming a mile away smh ...

I just finished off the phone with Carmax and he's working to see if they can do a trade in. Not sure how that will work since I'll have negative equity - assuming they'll have to use payoff vs settlement numbers.

Transportation has been difficult with 3 children under 6 but it'll mean I'll continue to pay more for cab fare and for someone to pick up the bigger children while I commute around with the 1 year old.

Hmmm, so the bank can possibly work with me on getting a new loan with them? At the settlement value? Didn't realize that ... thought once it was in repo status my only option is to return or short sell? I'll ask them Monday.

I wish I could budget off just my income but that won't be doable. Only good thing is my ex has been employed in his industry for 15 years and is union... since he has a bad habit of not paying on his own it's taken out of his paycheck. If he fails to pay he will lose his CDL license. He actually offered to buy the car and reneged smh.

Update: Approved for a loan of up to 20k @ 18% with 3k down with one lender. Maybe I'll take a clunker after all with a 200 monthly note.... prepay and repair my credit. Lol/smh!
Message 12 of 17
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you Fire! Yes. It's not much money but I have to start somewhere!

Sad thing with that auto deal my credit was at 620 and I put 2k down for a 2009 fully loaded Nissan altima. They saw me coming a mile away smh ...

I just finished off the phone with Carmax and he's working to see if they can do a trade in. Not sure how that will work since I'll have negative equity - assuming they'll have to use payoff vs settlement numbers.

Transportation has been difficult with 3 children under 6 but it'll mean I'll continue to pay more for cab fare and for someone to pick up the bigger children while I commute around with the 1 year old.

Hmmm, so the bank can possibly work with me on getting a new loan with them? At the settlement value? Didn't realize that ... thought once it was in repo status my only option is to return or short sell? I'll ask them Monday.

I wish I could budget off just my income but that won't be doable. Only good thing is my ex has been employed in his industry for 15 years and is union... since he has a bad habit of not paying on his own it's taken out of his paycheck. If he fails to pay he will lose his CDL license. He actually offered to buy the car and reneged smh.

@Anonymous: Approved for a loan of up to 20k @ 18% with 3k down with one lender. Maybe I'll take a clunker after all with a 200 monthly note.... prepay and repair my credit. Lol/smh!

Small victories congrats on the potential approval! Options are always good to have 

@I dunno what exactly the bank could do for you on a new loan @ settlement value...I've had loans modified before with smaller amounts at play. And yes they can call off the repo, now that I have personally experienced a couple of times sadly. Definitely, at the very least, get the conversation going with them as soon as you're able to.

You really do have quite a story, please keep us all updated!

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would suggest just taking the time to read this forum for a few hours each day for the next two weeks or so.

^^^^This is exactly what I did when I started. It can seem overwhelming at first however its really a simple process that becomes repeititive over time. Best of luck 

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone. 

I just want to do a quick update since it's been awhile.  I was working with the bank to settle on the car and have them 1099 me for the balance.  I was going to sell it through a dealer and try to get a little left over to apply to a new vehicle but to go all the way to Connecticut with no guarantees did not pan out.  So I still have the car even though I had 2 financing deals on a new car between 16 - 18% with 1k to 2k down.

Someone said something about not depending on the support so i'm trying to work out a new budget that will allow me to settle on the car and make monthly payments of about 800-900. Only problem is they will report the write off to the IRS as income and I'll be liable for the taxes in 2017 for 2016.  That will give me a year to save extra money just in case I have to pay the IRS.  I am really trying not to have the repo on my report but it will be either that or the settlement. For some reason, i like the settlement better. it makes me feel as if im not giving up on trying to repay on my debt. Sidebar:  I didn't know i have 6 months to do and am a bit upset that my first truck was repo'ed and i would've been able to pay this off and keep my truck back then.  I think the balance owed wasnt a lucrative enough of a deal for them -n it was less than a year's worth of payments I owed smh.

Anyway. If i settle for the 6 month deal i won't be able to afford the insurance. But i will own the car! I can the sell it on my own and get more than i paid and

• hold the profit for the taxes in 2017
  • apply the funds to a new car
  • apply some of the funds to that judgment on my report
  • or just drive the car and only have to worry about the insurance

I contacted the collections agency regarding my student loans and signed the paperwork for the rehab program.  After 6 months of on time payments i can finish up my master's.  And after 9 months my loan will return to the DOE and their servicer... i hope i don't get sallie mae who had railroaded me into this mess in the first place. I have an additional 20k in fees but i am paying attention to whats going on with SM and their shady practices. Since i recorded the calls i hope i can at least have the additional fees reversed since i had tried to get a deferment and had issues with them. they will report to the agencies that i am in good standing which is awesome.

I am going to apply for those bad credit (secured) cards i saw referenced on here.  there are two that stand out - as soon as i make the first payment for the car note against the settlement i will clear up extra funds. 

I also just received an offer letter from Cap One and that faulty judgment. i am debating whether i should offer them 400 since they offered 600... or go to court for a wrongful judgment.  i was never served and the process servers they used have a lengthy history of filing false process documents.  Once i get the car square away i will make a decision on this.

i am not checking my report again until i enter into settlement with the car... i am excited to be able to post my fico scores as my tagline like you all have.

thanks a bunch for the tips and suggestions!  Enjoy your holiday FicoForumFamily!

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Latest update. Settled with Cap1 on car for much less than i would have liked bit since im taking a hit for it via the 1099 ehhh. student loans are in rehab but Feds took return since im still in rehab.

was going to use those funds for the car but such is life. applied for the Orchard and Cap 1 secured cards and were approved. Via my old federal job i have 10 years of credit protection so i applied when i received notice that my credit score increased. idk how or why but yay to me lol.

thinking of going for QS1 card but not sure of the rules of secured vs unsec and when the accts were opened. new job in february and if i get the raise in a few more months i can continue paying off my old debt - not appearing on my CR.

have installment loan with CU ... overdraft protection... which i think is helping. not sure of scores just yet. too scared to check but receiving auto preapproval letters so i think im doing better.
.more progress in 2016
!!

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. Everyone.... im back again... im the OG poster. I must say i have made great strides since coming on here on nov 25th.

I settled car balance after attempting to sell it and now have 2 more payments left. Acct will report as paid/settle in about 2 mths. I have the cap 1 and cred 1 cards. Wtg for 5 mth mark for cap 1 to update to CR.

My student loans are at the 9 month period so im waiting for someone to pick up the new loan balance for servicing. From what i u/s all of the derogs will be removed. Only potential baddie is i switched bank caeds due to fraud and one payment was late. Going to call them back n see if the can remove that late. Ive registered for graduate school and will know my status in 2 weeks. So i can hold off those payments for 2 years.

I am at another job which pays more than the 2nd. My scores are 567, 580 and 626... from which agencies idk. Loan conaultant ran it to see what was on my trimerge. Expecting to be consistently in 600s after the car and student loans are completed.

Soft pull from Neighborhood trust shows a collection from convergent that he wrote me a letter for to prove the charge is valid on Friday. Additionally. That judgement will be addressed this Thursday. And will take about 2 mths to clear once i get the docket number.

From what i read i need another tradeline. Any suggestions... i dont want another hit to my credit.

Thank u everyone for ur help. I wouldnt have made it this far without ur advice n words of encouragement.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.