Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like an 'effin' adult.

tag
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Re: I feel like an 'effin' adult.

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't believe how much my behavior has changed in the past year.  I have actually become financiallly responsible.  I haven't overdrawn my checking account in ages.  I haven't paid a bill late in almost two years.   All of my debts are current.  I bought my very first brand new car last fall(at age 40....ugh..).  If I have an emergency I have enough available credit or cash to handle it.  For the first time in my life I am 100% in control of my finances.  I got two new credit cards in the mail yesterday, and I simply activated them, signed the back, and stuck them in my SD.  In the past those cards would have been maxed out the day I got them.  I got a suprise check from the IRS yesterday and my first though was to pay off a credit card that I thought might have to carry a balance this month.  I've never had credit scores over 620, and in a few months I'm hoping that at least one of my scores will cross the elusive 675 mark and I will officialliy have "good" credit.  I can answer my phone when restricted or toll free numbers call me.  I look forward to checking my mail.  When I go to a business dinner I don't have to live in fear that I'm going to have to cover the tab.  This is great.  I know this thread is totally self-congratulatory, but there isn't anyone IRL that I can talk to about this.  My family, friends, and co-workers have no idea about the financial troubles I've had in the past.  I'm glad that their perception of me is slowly becoming reality.  Thanks to all of you here for providing me with the encouragement to make this change.

It's a little bit creepy how much this could be me talking, right down to having just bought my first brand new car at age 40. Congratulations to both of us on turning our lives around!

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so happy for you and your success and rebuilding your credit.  You should be VERY proud of all your hard work.  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats to all your success  Emoticon-Thumbs Up.png

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome! Congrats! I'm still growing up but I can't wait to be an Effin adult too! Growing pains first... But I'm gonna make it with the awesome people on here Smiley Happy and... I'm older than you so I feel ya! Haha
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't believe how much my behavior has changed in the past year.  I have actually become financiallly responsible.  I haven't overdrawn my checking account in ages.  I haven't paid a bill late in almost two years.   All of my debts are current.  I bought my very first brand new car last fall(at age 40....ugh..).  If I have an emergency I have enough available credit or cash to handle it.  For the first time in my life I am 100% in control of my finances.  I got two new credit cards in the mail yesterday, and I simply activated them, signed the back, and stuck them in my SD.  In the past those cards would have been maxed out the day I got them.  I got a suprise check from the IRS yesterday and my first though was to pay off a credit card that I thought might have to carry a balance this month.  I've never had credit scores over 620, and in a few months I'm hoping that at least one of my scores will cross the elusive 675 mark and I will officialliy have "good" credit.  I can answer my phone when restricted or toll free numbers call me.  I look forward to checking my mail.  When I go to a business dinner I don't have to live in fear that I'm going to have to cover the tab.  This is great.  I know this thread is totally self-congratulatory, but there isn't anyone IRL that I can talk to about this.  My family, friends, and co-workers have no idea about the financial troubles I've had in the past.  I'm glad that their perception of me is slowly becoming reality.  Thanks to all of you here for providing me with the encouragement to make this change.

Congratulations!!

I've watched you progress on here as well and wanted to just say how inspiring it has been to see you turn stuff around. I'm not 100% there yet , but it's glad to see other's such as your self keeping me on the road to getting there when I read stories like yours. I can relate to your story on many levels to include no one really knowing your story, to previously maxing out the cards. You're on your way up Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 17
vertekal
Regular Contributor

Congrats! It does feel good once you start getting everything under control. Back in the day, I never paid my bill until someone showed up to shut off the electric or repo my car. Nearly 4 years ago, I finally had enough and started paying everything on time. It really boosted my credit score, but I still have the baddies from my past mucking up my credit reports.

I'm almost at my goal of getting 600's across the board, then will shoot for 620's, and finally 675+. Baby steps, and set goals that you can achieve. 

FICO 8:
EQ: 1/2018: 494 | 4/2021: 652 (+158)
TU: 1/2018: 536 | 4/2021: 657 (+121)
EX: 1/2018: 499 | 4/2021: 641 (+142)

Mortgage Scores:
EQ: 9/2020: 560 | 4/2021: 648 (+88)
TU: 9/2020: 564 | 4/2021: 649 (+85)
EX: 9/2020: 576 | 4/2021: 672 (+96)

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone!!!!  I'm slowly but surely getting to my goal.  This week I've had two FICOs cross the 650 mark!!!!!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.