cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like we won't ever be able to buy a house.

tag
mrbuilder
Established Member

I feel like we won't ever be able to buy a house.

Today sucked royally for me.  Lots of bad news on the credit repair journey.

--My husband's Cap1 Credit steps card began reporting on my EQ today as an authorized user.  Mind you the card has been open 6 mos with perfect history.  Cap1 and EQ are only reporting three months of that. Sunk my score 44 points.  For being an authorized user on an up-to-date, never late account.

--Got in contact with the US Dept of Education and the Ombudsman concerning the student loan rehab program for my husband.  He defaulted on a student loan 3 yrs ago without his knowledge (all correspondence had been sent to his college roommate's address).  Entered the rehab program and began payments.  Midway through the program, they deducted the remaining balance from our income tax refund and the loan was paid in full.  He wasn't able to continue all 10 payments.  He regained loan eligibility and is back in college, but the loan was not rehabbed on his reports because he didn't complete the rehab program ---- BY NO FAULT OF HIS OWN!!! They took our income tax refund and we figured that would fix the problem being that the balance was satisfied, but apparently he "didn't fulfill his contractual agreement" so the lates and default will remain on his report even though the collection is paid.

I really feel sick.  We've been at this for a year and I feel like we've gotten nowhere.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I feel like we won't ever be able to buy a house.

So sorry Smiley Sad. I've been feeling the same way lately. It really does feel like 1 step forward, 2 steps back sometimes. Just don't lose hope because where there is a will, there has got to be a way. I hope things get better for you and wish you nothing but success. Good luck.

Message 2 of 5
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

I'm so sorry Smiley Sad. Is there a way you could possibly goodwill them so that they delete early. I'm sure you feel like there is no hope .... But you gotta keep fighting don't give up. There is always a silver lining. This forum is chock full of folks with experiences which might even be similar to yours.
Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're learning though.  so even though your cs may not be going up, you're still learning.  Learn from your mistakes & do better tomorrow.

Message 4 of 5
kjel
Established Contributor

@mrbuilder wrote:

Today sucked royally for me.  Lots of bad news on the credit repair journey.

--My husband's Cap1 Credit steps card began reporting on my EQ today as an authorized user.  Mind you the card has been open 6 mos with perfect history.  Cap1 and EQ are only reporting three months of that. Sunk my score 44 points.  For being an authorized user on an up-to-date, never late account.

--Got in contact with the US Dept of Education and the Ombudsman concerning the student loan rehab program for my husband.  He defaulted on a student loan 3 yrs ago without his knowledge (all correspondence had been sent to his college roommate's address).  Entered the rehab program and began payments.  Midway through the program, they deducted the remaining balance from our income tax refund and the loan was paid in full.  He wasn't able to continue all 10 payments.  He regained loan eligibility and is back in college, but the loan was not rehabbed on his reports because he didn't complete the rehab program ---- BY NO FAULT OF HIS OWN!!! They took our income tax refund and we figured that would fix the problem being that the balance was satisfied, but apparently he "didn't fulfill his contractual agreement" so the lates and default will remain on his report even though the collection is paid.

I really feel sick.  We've been at this for a year and I feel like we've gotten nowhere.  

Hang in there. Rebuilding your credit takes time and your scores will go up and down along the way.

Definitely do reach out to the Ombudsman's office regarding the student loan rehab being derailed by the refund offset. You should have been advised by the loan servicer to file an extension on your taxes or at least check to see if you were on the treasury offset list. While the current outcome is disappointing at least the loans are paid so you have more funds to save up and/or pay down other debt.

Some of my accounts consistently run a month or two behind on reporting the history, not much you can do other than let the accounts age a little so it's not as critical an issue. Although the account might be paid, never late- the card's utilization % is critical to your score. Make sure that there's no more than a 9% balance on the card when the statement date rolls around.

It's taken me a solid two years to rebuild from the mid 500s to where I am now.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.