cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fought the university and the university won.

tag
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

I fought the university and the university won.

In May 2009, I was unable to pay my tuition to continue attending my university and was unable to pay until the $2,235 that was due until August 2011 to finish my degree.  In the meantime the account had gone into collections.  I was unaware when I paid the account that I could have done a PFD.   

Since I have been learning from this forum I decided to send a goodwill letter to the president of my university.  Within hours I got contacted by the president’s assistant that my account would be reviewed and I received an email from the student financial services to file a dispute with all three agencies and that they would review my account.  This was at the beginning of July.  Last week I got the results from the dispute from Experian and they made my account worst!!    Here is what it looked like pre-goodwill letter

EQ – 120 day lates from 7/2010-8/2011

TU – Collection Acount no lates

EX – 120, 150, 180 day lates 6/2010-8/2010, Critical Status 9/2010-7/2011, 180 day late 8/2011

I had to mail in the request to TU, EQ said the results would be ready 7/26 but there is still no link to the results but I received results from Experian.

2009 30, 60, 90, 120 day lates: September-December

2010 120, 150, 180 day lates: January-August,   Collections: September-December

2011 Collections: January – August, OK status: September – November, No Data: December

2012 No Data: January – June, Closed: July

I was very upset when I saw this.  I sent the collections manager the following email.

This morning I received an email from Experian that the results of the dispute were ready.  I checked the updated credit report and was surprised to see that not only was the entry from “The University” still there but it was updated to contain even more derogatory information.  I am very disappointed in the result of the dispute.  My letter was a request for “The
University” to help an alumnus by making a goodwill adjustment by removing the entry.  I am saddened that the university that I attended and loved would not only ignore my request to make the tradeline positive or to remove it but went above and beyond to make it even more derogatory than it already was.   Can you please provide an explanation? 

The collections manager wrote back:

When “The University” reviewed the information being reported to the credit bureaus, it was determined that the information reported is correct.  While we would like to be able to provide a goodwill gesture, the regulations within the Fair Credit Reporting Act prohibit “The University” from reporting anything but correct information.  Unfortunately, when negative information is accurately reported, only the passage of time can assure its removal.

You are permitted to file a statement of up to 100 words with the credit bureau to explain your side of the story.  The credit bureau would include the explanation in your report.

UGH!!!! Smiley Mad This pisses me off because obviously if it was “correct” in the first place you wouldn’t have made any changes also, the changes that they made weren’t even correct!  I paid this whole thing off in August 2011 it should be marked closed by at least September.  I have no idea what I should even say to this person.  I even copied the president’s assistant on the email that I sent.   Does anyone have any advice? Thanks Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 6/27/2012: TU-543 EQ-501 EX-535(Quizzle)
Current Score: 12/18/12: TU-571 EQ-547 EX-555(PSECU)
Goal Score: 630 by March

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: I fought the university and the university won.

I know you dont want to hear this but never file a dispute with the CRA's for accurate information cause it can make things worse. So you havent gotten the results back from EQ nor TU? I noticed TU doesnt have any negative info correct?  Id move up the ladder as far as gw's go. I wouldnt take a response from the president's assistant Id find a way to get in contact with the president.

good luck

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 15
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

Ugh, I definitely didn't want to hear that haha.  I wouldn't have filed one on my own but the student financial services told me to do it.  I guess I know better now.  Anyway, I'm not sure how much more up the ladder I can get since thecollections manager also copied the director of student financial services on the email.  Maybe I'm doomed lol.

Message 3 of 15
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I know how you feel, I tried fixing my credit on my own terms lol before coming accross this wonderful forum and made a mess a bigger mess! 

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 15
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

bumping my post. . . .looking for a little more help.  specifically, i know from being on these forums that it is absolutely not illegal for them to remove a trade line.  i have had it done by a collections agency for me.  i'm not completely familiar with the whole FCRA thing, all i know is that it says that who ever is reporting has to report accurately or something like that.  i have read some stuff on here about it but i'm not sure what exactly to say back to them that will help me.  please help!

Message 5 of 15
2NE1
Established Contributor

I agree that you shouldn't have disputed its accuracy with the CRAs, I'm also trying to GW a tuition that went to collections but luckily the CA only reported to TU. I have just finished paying the $3474 balance, it sucks that you can't finish school until you pay off the entire balance (apparently there's some law behind it) I could've graduated already, but this held me back for an entire year! Well, good luck on your journey!
Message 6 of 15
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

can you please explain why i shouldn't have filed the dispute?  you are the second person who said that and i don't understand why doing it makes it worse.  i just did what the university told me to do.  i'm confused.

Message 7 of 15
2NE1
Established Contributor

Because filing disputes directly to the CRAs can make things much worst, like it happened in your case. Companies ALWAYS tell you that if you believe the information on your CR is inaccurate or you disagree with it, to file a complaint directly with the CRAs cause they don't want to update it correctly themselves! OCs and CAs are the one's that furnish your information to the CRAs in the first place, the CRAs are just reporting whatever is handed to them, therefore it's better to go file a dispute straight to the source who are either the OC or CA.If the OC or CA agrees to remove accurate info then the CRAs will comply and remove it. The only reason you should file dispute to the CRAs is when you find information on your CR that does not belong to you OR if you really believe / know the information is inaccurate. If I were you I would personally request to meet up with whoever was in charge of reporting your TL (was it student accounts?) and have a talk with them about it and see if they'd delete the TL since you fulfilled by paying it. Also since they made the reporting worse, explain to then what happened and have then fix it if they refuse to remove your TL. Good luck!

Message 8 of 15
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

I have been doing some research on here and the internet and I think I am ready to email the collections manager back.  Here is my email.  I welcome any and all feedback. 

Hello XXXX,

Thank you for providing an explanation for the changes.  I understand that the FCRA requires accurate reporting, however, I have been reading and doing research and furnishers of information to the consumer reporting agency do in fact have the authority to remove negative, yet accurate information from a credit file (see FCRA Sec 623.a.7.e).  Upon reviewing the changes to all of my reports I saw that the changes are not consistent across all three agencies.  If the university cannot extend a goodwill gesture to remove all derogatory information from my credit report because of its “requirement” to report accurately then why isn’t the reporting on the tradeline the same across all three agencies?  I have fulfilled my obligation by paying the debt in full and I am requesting that since "the university" cannot give a goodwill gesture to remove all derogatory information from my credit report that "the university" please bestow a goodwill gesture upon me by removing the tradeline completely from all three reports since this is within the abilities of the university per the FCRA.  Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.  I really appreciate that "the university" is taking my request seriously.

What do you guys think?

Message 9 of 15
tooyoungforbadcredit
Valued Member

Well I probably wouldn't put the bit about how the information isn't on all three credit bureaus; because, that opens the door to them reporting to all three bureaus. I just wouldn't give them any ideas.

In the garden since 7/27/12 after getting two credit rebuilding cards.

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: TU-617 Equifax-606 Experian Plus 569
Goal Score: 650 by 1/1/13
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.