Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a court date!!!!

tag
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

I got a court date!!!!

Long story short....

Had a judgment for $53,000 awarded against me.  Ended up I did not have to pay it.  It was from a medical bill.  Between insurance not being filed correctly and applying for financial assistance with the hospital it was almost all either forgiven or paid for by insurance.  I asked the collection company to have it vacated when the hospital recalled the accounts but instead they filed it as satisfied.  I decided to fight it. I went to the court house Friday and asked about having it vacated.  I had to write a letter to the judge explaining why I felt I should be granted a hearing.  Today I received notice that a hearing has been set for 2 weeks from today.  First victory!  Judge must have felt I had a decent enough reason to hear my case.   I will have to hire a teacher to teach my morning class for me but I am hoping it will be worth it.

I think I have a 50/50 chance of having it vacted.  I got lucky and the judge who is hearing it is very kind and understanding.  I don't know if the collection agency will send an attorney or not.  There is no benefit for them to fight this.  They already filed the judgment as satisfied.  They can't get any money out of me as the hospital recalled the whole debt.  The only reason to show up is to spite me.  I am going to have all the documentation from the hospital with me.  Also, I think I will write out everything I want to say so I can explain what happened when they received the judgment and the steps I took to have the debt resolved.

I will keep everyone posted.

PS:  I am in Nebraska and they are not a vacate friendly state!

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: I got a court date!!!!

Good luck!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Good luck!

I honestly can't see them not vacating it.  When the debt was paid by the hospital and insurance it left you not liable.  Therefore, no judgment.

Message 3 of 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Good for you, hope everything turns out the way you want it to. 

Very wise lady, to have notes on everything you want to say.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.