Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess I'm doomed to go through life credit-less

tag
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

Re: I guess I'm doomed to go through life credit-less

@Jon85 wrote:

I've heard some good things about the Open Sky secured credit card--they don't do a credit check but report monthly to all three.

What about First Premier? I know they're expensive, but at least to get your foot in the door they will be good. 

I agree with that one. It was the only unsecured card I could get, not even Credit One would accept me. Also no normal banks would even approve me for secured.

For FP It stinks to pay the $95 processing fee and $75 annual fee but I am so glad I got it. If I hadn't, I would not have then been able to get my Macy's or Bloomingdale's since they require you to input credit card info when you apply.

If you get an FP card, from the experiences I have heard, they are good to rebuild if you do it VERY CAREFULLY. Only charge small amounts for things you would normally need anyway (gas, food, etc) and pay it off in FULL. And most people cancel before the full 1 year month to avoid the monthly fee, and at that point most people have been approved for much better cards. You also have the shopping cart trick option, look it up you'll see.

Message 11 of 18
madmann26
Valued Contributor

No credit is worse then bad credit. Try NFCU. I was able to get a secured card in August 2012. In December 2012 I was approved for an unsecured card with a 3k limit. Early this month I took a HP for a 1k increase. Last week that card went to 10k.

And my scores are lower then yours.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 12 of 18
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Can you get a family member to add you as an AU on one of their cards?

*8/10/13
Message 13 of 18
samdubs
Contributor

I added my wife who had no credit to one of my cards with no derogs and a week later she had a credit score in the high 700s. It might work if become an AU.

Message 14 of 18
TwoBeFree
Contributor

Try PNC bank they have a secured card. You have to go into the bank to apply. They do not check your credit. I got approved and my credit was bad.

Message 15 of 18
Leadberry
Established Contributor

+1 with the AU suggestion.  If you have any family members or close friends who you think might add you to an old account in good standing, that is the absolute easiest way to pave the road to obtaining your own credit cards.

Ironic isn't it?  They tell you you can't have any credit cards because you don't have any credit cards.  Well, how is one supposed to start if nobody will let them?  Don't worry, you're not alone in that regard.

And, like others have said, NFCU is much more generous with credit than USAA is.

Edit:  grammatical errors.  T_T

FICO Scores 800+
Message 16 of 18
sumthin28
Valued Member

Just to add my 2 cents, I think starting off with a 2500$ secured card might be your problem. Even though it is your money you would be borrowing from it's easier to get a 500 or 1000$ secured card to start. 

Starting Score 520
Current Score 649 Ex 658 Eq 665 Tu
Goal 700
AmEx everyday 1000 Boa travel rewards !000 Barclays 1300 Chase Freedom 3500 DiscoverIT 1400 Cap 1 Quicksilverone 300 Wallmart 600 Lowes 300 Paypal 500
Message 17 of 18
VLGaffEsq
Regular Contributor

I agree with Jon85's comment.  Go to www.openskycc.com and apply for their secured credit card = Acceptance is guaranteed, and no credit credit check to get his card.  If you put down $2,500 or $400 into their savings account, that becomes your credit limit.  I have been a happy customer with them for almost two years, and they report to all three credit bureaus, and they have been helping me rebuild my credit score (up to 610).  Try them!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.