Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate Equifax

Just got re-investigation report - They just verified that the DOFD was 8/2007 on an account that they reported both 8/2007 and 7/2007 and 6/2007 as 180 days late.

What do I do when their own report is completely contradictory to its own "verified" information??

The OC is reporting it wrong, and so are they. Help!!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: I hate Equifax

I know this won't help you but I totally understand and welcome to the nightmare that is credit reports.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax is synonymous with inconsistency and innacuracy. They always have been and always will be the worst of the big 3 so long as they continue to ignore legitimate disputes.

Message 3 of 18
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax is synonymous with inconsistency and innacuracy. They always have been and always will be the worst of the big 3 so long as they continue to ignore legitimate disputes.

I totally feel you, they are one of the worst. But in all fairness, if I had to rate my extensive experience with the bureaus, I would say #1 and the worst is Experian, the #2 worst is Trans Union and a very close #3 to them is Equifax. The problem that is most annoying with Equifax is that their investigations are incomplete, inaccurate and all over the place. So often times you ask them to update something, they just remove it, which in many cases does more damage to your score. Sometimes you ask them to update and they just add a comment saying Consumer Disputes and leave it at that. They are all evil frankly and to some extent their pissing contest with FICO and their standard leads to them being difficult.

Message 4 of 18
traveler2005
Established Contributor

I don't like them either. Portfolio recovery has put in three requests to remove tradeline since January and it is still on report.  TU and Exp deleted long ago.

Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 5 of 18
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Ugg - I just disputed two accts with them yesterday.

Did you do online or mail?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 18
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Yes, that much I agree, they tend to drag their feet. But not as extensively as Experian does when they dig in their heels. Also keep in mind a few things:

1. Automated or third-party letters from "credit" fixers hurt you more than they help you.

2. Disputing online is a waste of time and often will not result in the most beneficial result for you.

My suggestions:

1. Dispute only 1-3 items at a time.

2. Dispute in WRITING and preferrably write it rather than type it up. Although if your hand writing sucks and you have to follow it for it to be legible, type it up.

3. Avoid empty threats or long winded explanations, stick to the facts, keep it simple and cite the FCRA sections if you are familiar enough; otherwise avoid, "THIS IS ILLEGAL"

General rule of thumb, if they know they are getting to you or under your skin, you will have less and less success in getting them to do anythign for you. They will screw will you out of spite, all three in fact. Because they know that you don't have either the money or time or the expertise to go to court and sue their fancy lawyers and the FTC is an impotent tool that does nothing just logs the complaints. So ultimately, you need to try and make the best of it with the enemy (thank you USMC for that lesson).

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guardian wrote:

2. Disputing online is a waste of time and often will not result in the most beneficial result for you.

Based on personal experience, I would disagree with this.  I had quite a few tradelines deleted recently through online disputes.  They were deleted way faster than if I had done it through written letters.  I think if you have tradelines that are clearly incorrect and don't need to provide any supporting documentation, online is effective.

Message 8 of 18
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on personal experience, I would disagree with this.  I had quite a few tradelines deleted recently through online disputes.  They were deleted way faster than if I had done it through written letters.  I think if you have tradelines that are clearly incorrect and don't need to provide any supporting documentation, online is effective.

General rule of thumb my friend. Depends on what you are disputing and if they have previously "investigated" and now labeling it as "confirmed" you will be wasting your time online as they will automate the denial, trust me on this. If its a first time on an item and its a simple enough item to verify and possibly they won't care enough to just void it out, then yeah its an expeditious way to go but just saying be careful, as a general rule, online disputes get handled differently and often fall through the cracks MUCH more often than not. To each their own though and I respect your experience, just telling you based on over a decade of dealing with them on a professional level, they are stubborn mules and they work in counterintuitive ways.

Message 9 of 18
bodybuilder510
Regular Contributor

Have you requested Method Of Verification? You will be surprised to see results.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.