cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a slightly confusing question about disputes and updating info.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a slightly confusing question about disputes and updating info.

I am in the process of buying a house but I must get the dispute comments removed two charged off tradelines.  I am going to work on that but my concern is this.  At the same time that I am going to be asking them to resolve the dispute or remove the comment I will also be asking them to verify an active date on one of the cards.  I have a charge off with a last active date that should be sometime in 2008 but is now reporting active 01/12 but this is incorrect.  We have not made any type of payment on the account.  

My question is this.... Is asking a credit bureau to verify an active date considered a dispute?  I am concerned that asking the bureau to do one thing may be counter acting the other request.  

Do I need to first have them correct the active date and then have them remove the dispute comments?  Also, is the above mentioned hard to have the CBR's do?  Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: I have a slightly confusing question about disputes and updating info.

The CRA' go by what is reported to them.  It makes more sense to get ahold of whoever is reporting wrong and have them fix it by filing a direct dispute with them.

While you're at it, kindly ask the reporting party to remove the dispute comment.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They were put there when I disputed the accounts with the credit bureau.  Is it still the CC I need to contact in that case?

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The dispute flag is not removed by the party who reported the disputed information, it is removed by the CRA upon their resolution of a dispute.  The furnisher of the information does not resolve a dispute, only the reinvestigation decision by the CRA does that.

As for including a dispute over a reporting date in a more substantive dispute, I would not recommend it.  Parties are entitled to report and re-report,the same information each month.  Most new reportings dont change anything.  The relevant date of the charge-off for credit reporting purposes remains the date-certain DOFD on the OC account, and updated reporting does not change that date.  Unless you are sure that the reporting in fact updated an important status to something else that is incorrect, you will most likely find that the reporting is of no significance, and was most likely proper.  Its a side-show.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response Robert.  I am still a little confused (I am sure you are real surprised about that : )

The thing I am disputing is that Amex is all the sudden reporting that my charge off's "last active" date is 01/12.  We obviously do not use the card and have not paid on it etc.  I just want to make sure your response was meant for the "last active" date.  My mortgage broker said this could make or break my USDA loan because I can't have any new past dues in the last 12 months.  Basically, I guess it now looks like a new charge off.  

Are you saying that even though the last activity of any kind was back in 2008 that Amex has the right to report that the "last active" date is 01/12?  They have always reported each month to the CBR but again it is now showing up as if it is new debt.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.