cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have no idea what to do. Original Creditor keeps changing account status from charge off to collec

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea what to do. Original Creditor keeps changing account status from charge off to collec

I wrote to Equifax a few weeks ago about the original creditor updating the date of first delinquency to 6 months later. They responded that the debt was verified which wasn't what I was asking about. Now all the history has been deleted and the account status changed from charge off,which it has been for 7 years to collection. Are charge offs usually changed to a collection this late in the game? They were claiming my debt should come off the reports in October 2016 when they had it scheduled for March 2016 before. I have countless reports that show this. I uploaded this to Equifax and they ignored it. I'm at a loss over this.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: I have no idea what to do. Original Creditor keeps changing account status from charge off to co

Whenever an original creditor reports a charge-off, they are required to additionally report the DOFD no later than 90 days after reporting of the charge-off.

The creditor can then report that they have referred the delinquent debt to a debt collector at any time.

A debt collector can then report their collection activity at any time.  Once they report their collection, they are similarly required to obtain and report the DOFD onthe OC account.

It is the reported DOFD that is used by the CRA to determine when both the charge-off and collection must become excluded from your credit report.

Regardless of when reported, no CO or collection can remain in normal credit reports after 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

The CRAs typically show the estimated or expected exclusion date in your credit report rather than the actual DOFD, and the esimated exclusion date typically includes an early exclusion of approx 6 months.  Thus, an estimated date can vary depending upon how much earlier the CRA intends to exclude.

If you have factual information that shows a reported DOFD (as opposed to an estimated exclusion date) is inaccurate, you can dispute its accuracy by use of your documentation.  First, you must have evidence of the reported DOFD, and not the estimated exclusion date shown in a credit report.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have no idea what to do. Original Creditor keeps changing account status from charge off to co

@Anonymous wrote:

I wrote to Equifax a few weeks ago about the original creditor updating the date of first delinquency to 6 months later. They responded that the debt was verified which wasn't what I was asking about. Now all the history has been deleted and the account status changed from charge off,which it has been for 7 years to collection. Are charge offs usually changed to a collection this late in the game? They were claiming my debt should come off the reports in October 2016 when they had it scheduled for March 2016 before. I have countless reports that show this. I uploaded this to Equifax and they ignored it. I'm at a loss over this.

If you have an old EQ report (from annualcreditreport.com), they will show the actual reported DoFD, rather than an extimated removal date. Compare old rpeort to new report...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.