cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have yet to come across someone who is as bad as I am here.

tag
Dymond

I have yet to come across someone who is as bad as I am here.

I am embarassed, but I need advice. I got some good advice the other night from here, but I am just a mess. My current credit score is about a 374 according to Credit Sesame, and according to Credit Karma a 381 (TU) and a 369 (EQ). Never have I ever been so low. it was in the mid to high 5's in August but thanks to Wells Fargo SEcured card reporting on my closed card that i have been late (I do have a balance of 574), and late CAP 1 and First Progress paymnts, my score has been dropping by 30-40 points montly easily. I believe the culprit is Wells because I have had late paymens in the past, but my sores NEVER dropped by so much. At any rate, I am not going to dwell on the bad, i want to focus on getting out of this pickle and raising my score so I can buy a home for myself and children in a few years. 

I have NO idea where to start. I know he first thing I am going to do is pay on the Wells Card to make them stop reporting lates on me. And also work on my other three cards. But other then that, I have no idea what to do to raise my score. I do have some baddies on my report, but with me not making a lot of money currently and with another baby coming, i dont know how im going to handle this where I am making progress and interest isnt keeping me at the same amount regardless of what I pay. 

I guess what I really want to know is, for a person with a credit score as low as low can go where is the starting point to fixing it?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have yet to come across someone who is as bad as I am here.

You're on the right track. A really good starting point is putting distance between you and lates. Pay minimum if you have to, but pay them on time. Not just before they become late, but right as soon as they're due. You'll see those scores coming up dramatically after some time passes without late payments.

Once you get your points up enough, maybe you can do something more helpful like borrowing enough to pay them off at a lower interest rate.

You should also order your three free reports and scour them for anything that can and should be removed from your report -- inaccurate, too old, etc.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dymond,

You've been a member here since mid 2013 so where things go wrong?  Any thing I would say is pure speculation so I'll speculate. 

Either you stopped checking here for advice or ignored what you read. The worst thing someone can do is to begin rebuilding then throw it all away by being irresponsible. 

For now you should put the cards away and only by what you can pay cash for.  Pay at least the minimum on each of them every acct and try to pay something  (even if only $5-10 each month on top to begin to work you balances down.  

At this point, time and personal responsibility on your part is what will heal this wound. 

Read these posts and learn from others. Take hold of your life and all of the responsibiliies come with it.  Yuo have children and you need to exhibit strength of character from here on out.  Past indiscretions are not fatal and you can rise above them but only if you set your resolve to improve.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores may not be that low. Credit Sesame and Credit Karma are FAKOs. My CK scores run about 100 less than my Fico scores. Try the $1 Credit Check Total trial for accurate scores.

ETA: When we started out we didn't even have scores

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Your scores may not be that low. Credit Sesame and Credit Karma are FAKOs. My CK scores run about 100 less than my Fico scores. Try the $1 Credit Check Total trial for accurate scores.

+1

Sorry, i got distracted and forgot that part. This is true! Really need your TRUE FICO8 scores to really know where you are. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

First and foremost, pay everything on time, even if its the minumum. Just one late payment can tank your credit. At this point, its just going to take time for you. Pay everything off, then start paying in full using what cards you have now wisely becuase with all those lates you have now, the likely hood of getting another card in the near future is super low. Just keep at it. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dymond wrote:

I am embarassed, but I need advice. I got some good advice the other night from here, but I am just a mess. My current credit score is about a 374 according to Credit Sesame, and according to Credit Karma a 381 (TU) and a 369 (EQ). Never have I ever been so low. it was in the mid to high 5's in August but thanks to Wells Fargo SEcured card reporting on my closed card that i have been late (I do have a balance of 574), and late CAP 1 and First Progress paymnts, my score has been dropping by 30-40 points montly easily. I believe the culprit is Wells because I have had late paymens in the past, but my sores NEVER dropped by so much. At any rate, I am not going to dwell on the bad, i want to focus on getting out of this pickle and raising my score so I can buy a home for myself and children in a few years. 

I have NO idea where to start. I know he first thing I am going to do is pay on the Wells Card to make them stop reporting lates on me. And also work on my other three cards. But other then that, I have no idea what to do to raise my score. I do have some baddies on my report, but with me not making a lot of money currently and with another baby coming, i dont know how im going to handle this where I am making progress and interest isnt keeping me at the same amount regardless of what I pay. 

I guess what I really want to know is, for a person with a credit score as low as low can go where is the starting point to fixing it?

The starting point is to get ALL accounts current as quickly as possible. All other considerations need to go to the back burner, until that goal is achieved.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I'm still in the process of rebuilding my credit, but the all time low that I saw it hit was in the 420-430 range, from the high 720's...I honestly didn't watch it super close shortly after that as I knew it wouldn't bounce back right away, so it may have plunged lower at some point. Currently I'm in the 630 range and climbing...my point being, I've been there!

For me, it was caused by a divorce that I didn't handle very well (I should have counter filed with the help of a lawyer, which I was stupid enough not to do because I was "too broke - oh, how I've paid for that, quite literally). At the time, my minimum payments were still too much for me to handle - I literally did not make enough to cover them. Had I been able to do so, I would have at least paid minumims and put together a "debt snowball." But, that was impossible, even working two jobs, so I had to go through a debt consolication company - no one would look at me for a loan, so I was stuck between that or bankruptcy. I chose that route, knowing my scores would be horrible for awhile, but eventually I'd be able to recover, which I am.

If you can make your minimum payments - DO IT! At least keep them current from here on out, even if you can't make back payments. Call your creditors and explain that you will keep them current and see if they'll write off some of the fees and/or lower the minimum due. One of my student loans was very willing to work with me that way, which was a huge help....but you have to get on the phone and talk to them, escalating it to managers quite often, depends on the company.

From there, the debt snowball - I set up an excel sheet with my debts, entered the info in, and then sorted it first by lowest monthly payment, then by interest rate, then by lowest debt amount, and anything extra went to the first one on the list first...once that was paid off, the minimum from that PLUS any extra was added to the next one on the list. I have paid off several accounts this way!

A HUGE key is knowing where your money is going and when. There are online tools and apps but I found none of them that really did everything I wanted, so I built my own budget tracking spreadsheet with several pages in it. Page 1 is my monthly budget plan. Page 2 is my day-to-day tracker so I don't forget about an auto-payment or check someone is taking forever to cash (to avoid any "extra" fees which can REALLY kill your money each month!). I also have a section where I lay out my "set bills" several paychecks in advance so I can pre-plan how much I may (or may not) have available for spending in other areas. Page 3 is a monthly summary - for each entry in 2, there's a drop down category menu - each month I tally each category (super simple with a filter) and see if I'm at, over or under my budget. This allows me to plan better and budget better. For example, do I run over my food budget every single month for several months in a row? Then I either need to make a drastic change or adjust my budget accordingly. The final Page 4 is my debt snowball, anything new is entered and all I do is re-sort the data.

Gaining control of where my money was going and realizing what I was ACTUALLY spending has been HUGE in me improving my credit - in fact, it would not be where it is without it. I've passed my tracker on to a couple of friends and it has worked great for them as well. Another very helpful thing you can do is set up auto-payments or use your bank's Bill Pay if they have one. I prefer the bill pay as I can control a little better when a payment is made, but it still sends me reminders and I can schedule them to pay automatically whenever I want them made. This way I'm no longer missing or forgetting a bill.

The Bill Pay and the budget tracker combined now have me in control of my money. I no longer have to bum $5 for gas to get to work because I ran out of money...and my credit score is rapidly growing as I pay down debt. It's a good feeling to feel in control of your money again - while it's not always "fun" or "happy" at least YOU'RE in control instead of it controlling you!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love that last bit, about being in control. A big benefit for me is that occasionally I need to travel for my job. Before rebuilding, sometimes I'd be literally out of pocket for up to a month after the travel, assuming I was able to squeeze the money together to travel in the first place, and there have been some close calls while on travel with maxed out cards and lack of available financial flexibility. Even though I'm nowhere near done, I've built up enough flexibility to travel on a moment's notice without affecting the family budget.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.