Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Back From the Land of the Credit Dead

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

I'm Back From the Land of the Credit Dead

I thought I was never going to get approved for anything. I know many may laugh at my toy limits, but just having somebody, anybody say yes gives me hope for the future. I hope I don't mess up my rebuilding process by having such low limits.

Victoria's Secret Angel Card - Approved ($500)

Express Card - Approved ($500)

JCrew Card - Approved ($300)

Fingerhut - Approved Fresh Start Program ($300)

Paypal Bill Me Later - Approved ($500) - I don't think Paypal reports to the bureau so I'm just testing them out. No hard pull done. Same bank as Fingerhut so I think my approval was either based off that pull or my great history with Paypal (10 years of solid payments for goods purchased online)

For those who can't get approved for anything, I highly suggest going to one of the websites above, putting stuff in your basket and see if you get a pre-approval. I got Victoria's Secret, Express and Jcrew with no hard pull thank god. I hope they all report otherwise I will cancel them in a few months. I'm done for at least a year. Hopefully in a year I won't have shot myself in the foot with such toy limits.

Also currently have

US Bank Secured ($300) - Requesting increase my CL to $600 in a few days

OpenSky Secured ($500) - Will never even use this card except to buy a Happy meal once a month. They charge interest from the day you spend.

And for the Denials:

Capital One - Denied

Bank of America Secured - 7-10 day response (probably denied)

USAA Mastercard (gave them a shot because they only pull equifax and I have a 741 equifax but was denied anyway for lack of acct history).

Discover (denied, same as USAA mastercard)

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'm Back From the Land of the Credit Dead

In the words of Dr. Frankenstein,,,  It's Alive!!!   Congrats on your progress so far, and yes it does feel good to have someone want you.  Keep growing!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 14
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Yes it feels good lol!

I would have been happy with $100 macy's card, but I'll take it where I can get it.

Message 3 of 14
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Its a long journey but it starts with the first step!

Uhh...Johnny? VS?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 14
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

The WFFNB cards will report in a week or so. Congrats! Let those new accounts age a few months and you will start getting good pre-approvals.

Message 5 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Grats. How is your EQ so high? It's my lowest score Smiley Sad

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Duncarr, I don't know why but the collections I had all reported to trans union and experian. I had 3 baddies on my EQ and got them all removed through dispute. Then I added my secured visa and a friend put me on as an AU on their credit card with a high limit. Within a month it was sky high but to be honest, it was already like high 600's when I started for god knows why. Maybe my two 7-8 year old paid as agreed jewelry accts ?? No idea.

Message 7 of 14
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

Congrats!

Its a long journey but it starts with the first step!

Uhh...Johnny? VS?

I know right? What am I going to do with that card? Especially the APR is like 26% I think? wow.

Can't even buy a bra without being taxed into the poor house.

Message 8 of 14
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Well first congrat to your rebuild process........I don't know why would you apps for whole bunch of cards with low limit..........I think you should stop apps,for anything else and garden for at least a year or 2 , in the mean time working on your collection and wait till your score closed by 700 Ficoscore then apps for some MEANING credit cards........ 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 14
Paleta25
Established Member

So VS and Express dosent do a  hard pull on your credit report for approval? I didnt realize they didnt do so.

I dont have any retail credit cards and  ive read some info that says its good to have a mix of credit cards and retail cards...anyone else hear of this?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.