cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm new, looking for FICO score guidance!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new, looking for FICO score guidance!

Hello! I’m a recent college graduate, home buying hopeful. My Equifax fico score is currently a 611, about a 100 drop from where I stood last year. I’m hoping to see a score of 700 again in the next 6-12 months. Due to a recent job switch with less pay, I relied heavier on my credit over the past 3 months, but as of this week I paid off my credit card ($500 limit) and line of credit ($500 limit), and am hoping to see a jump in score next month from paying those off.

I’ve heard many success stories about challenging items that appear on the credit report, so I’m hoping to get help understanding what steps to take. Right now a 30 day late payment (aug 2011) appears for VW credit, and a 60 day late payment (jan 2012) appears on my bank of America student loan (which is completely false, btw). I also have a collection for a $30 doctor co-pay. No accounts are currently delinquent, and I did pay the collection earlier this year.

How can I challenge these items that appear on my report? Please be gentle…I’m new to this entire process!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm new, looking for FICO score guidance!

With the late payments, start by mailing/emailing out some GW letters. The utilization was hurting you a lot but since that has been taken care, never allow more than 10% to report to the CRA month-to-month.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! The 60 day late payment for bank of america is false, as my loans were in deferrment at that time, so should I send a different letter? Can anything be done about the collection? Thanks again!!
Message 3 of 6
madmann26
Valued Contributor

With the BOA one, have you tried to call them? If they won't here it, dispute it with the CRA's.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Send the GWs for the lates and the paid collection.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ill give them a call, and prep the VW GW letter! Thank you for your help!!!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.