cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm suddenly getting a bunch of collection calls/letters...what happened?

tag
JYKim1
New Contributor

I'm suddenly getting a bunch of collection calls/letters...what happened?

I have recently started delving into the world of rebuilding credit. I sent out a few PFDs and disputed a thing or two on my CRs. I originally opted-out, then opted-in for the shopping cart trick (no luck), and then opted-out again. I'm not sure if any of these things have had any effect on my current situation, but in the last week I have suddenly gotten a few calls and letters from old CAs with debts that are from the past! I haven't gotten a collection notice in many months. None of the CAs that are contacting me are listed on my credit reports, so I don't know much information about the accounts. I'm pretty sure they are all my debts, although the balances seem inflated and and questionable.

I am unsure what my next step should be. I know at least one of these is beyond the SOL and CRTP, but they are obviously still trying to collect. I would like to settle them up, but don't want to get taken advantage of. Since they are not on my reports, it doesn't seem like a PFD would be the right approach. How would I get some more info about these items? Are there any resources I can use to find information on old fallen-off debts that are no longer listed on my CRs?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Starting Score: EQ: 565 EX: 572 TU: 571
Current Score: EQ: 587 EX: 643 TU: 610
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

Re: I'm suddenly getting a bunch of collection calls/letters...what happened?

@JYKim1 wrote:

I have recently started delving into the world of rebuilding credit. I sent out a few PFDs and disputed a thing or two on my CRs. I originally opted-out, then opted-in for the shopping cart trick (no luck), and then opted-out again. I'm not sure if any of these things have had any effect on my current situation, but in the last week I have suddenly gotten a few calls and letters from old CAs with debts that are from the past! I haven't gotten a collection notice in many months. None of the CAs that are contacting me are listed on my credit reports, so I don't know much information about the accounts. I'm pretty sure they are all my debts, although the balances seem inflated and and questionable.

I am unsure what my next step should be. I know at least one of these is beyond the SOL and CRTP, but they are obviously still trying to collect. I would like to settle them up, but don't want to get taken advantage of. Since they are not on my reports, it doesn't seem like a PFD would be the right approach. How would I get some more info about these items? Are there any resources I can use to find information on old fallen-off debts that are no longer listed on my CRs?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

There are several possibilities, but what I'm about ready to say is most probable based on what you said:

If the letters you got are from creditors with no tradelines on your credit reports, then it's probably ZOMBIE debt collectors trying to either re-age your debt or collect past the SOL for credit reporting.  The reason they're suddenly trying to connect from you all of the sudden is because you showed up on their radar when you ran your dispute.  

I'm assuming you have some old debts you never paid that were first delinqunent more than 7.5 years ago.  

You don't have to pay zombie debt.  

Send a cease and desist letter to each of them by certified mail with a tracking number.  Make sure not to acknowledge the debt is yours, and cite federal laws they have violated.  Tell them you never want them, any of their subsidaries, or any of their parent companies to ever contact you  in any way again regarding the supposed debt.  Go online and check the tracking number for reception by the collection agency.  The instant that they accept it, they will be in violation of federal law if they ever try to contact you in any way again.  

Again, this is only for those creditors sending you letters about debt that you were first delinquent on many years ago, and don't show up on your credit reports.  Be careful to check all of your credit reports, though, because sometimes you'll have LEGIT collectors who only report to 1 of the credit reporting bureaus.  

Hope this helps.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 2 of 5
Dapper_Dan
Contributor

Did you use priceline.com, amazon, or any other company that offers rewards such as Marriot Rewards or a club points program somewhere?

4/2012 **Paid off 60 month car loan in 60 months**
6/11/2012 500 Auto EQ (CarMax)
7/2012 **Paid off 60 month VW car loan in 32 months**
8/13/2012 584 TU myFICO
8/16/2012 577 EQ myFICO
8/18/2012 **New $500 CC from WalMart** (1st CC since 2008)
8/19/2012 **New $200 CC from Capital One** (2nd CC since 2008)
Message 3 of 5
JYKim1
New Contributor

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I think at least two of them are Zombie Debt. but I'm thinking one of them might be a debt within the SOL, although it is from a Pearl Card. What's interesting about that is I believe the Pearl Card was initially offered to pay off another debt. And like a chump, I didn't know any better at the time and accepted it, but was unable to pay when I lost my job. Northland Group is collecting for the Pearl Card, and I also have Como Law Firm calling for a mystery debt, and Midland trying to collect on a 2004 Capital One card. As of two weeks ago when I pulled all 3 reports, none of these had reported, but I will make sure to pull my reports once more before I contact them.

I understand I do not have to pay these, but will it hurt me when I try to buy a house in a few years?

Also, no Dapper Dan I did not sign up for any rewards programs.

Starting Score: EQ: 565 EX: 572 TU: 571
Current Score: EQ: 587 EX: 643 TU: 610
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

So Opting in doesn't cause any of that to happen?

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.