Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I might be stuck, please help!

tag
Viperlx
New Contributor

I might be stuck, please help!

Hi All,

I have a judgment I paid off 6 months ago and the court now has it marked as satisfied.  My credit report does not have it marked but I do not want to dispute the record in case they change the date filed to a more recent date(rather not restart the 7 year clock).  I am in the state of Pennsylvania and I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on what to do next without making it worse.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

Re: I might be stuck, please help!

Could you contact the court and ask that they make sure have the CRA's mark it satified also?

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Dont worry about restarting any clock on the judgment.

Judgments are excluded after 7 years from the date of the judgment.  Exclusion is not based on any other date.

The date of the judgment is fixed by court records, and if anyone were to attempt to "reset" that date, it would be both illegal and clearly shown by court records to be incorrect.

Many publc records get into your credit file by way of private firms hired to research public records.  They often do not comply with their requirement to update reported information so as to maintain its accuracy.  Since you most likely dont know who reported, I would send a dispute to the CRA, along with documentation of satisfaction of the judgment, and request that the status be updated.  They know who reported it, and have the obligation to send your dispute to the reporting party.  Let the CRA figure it out.

Now that the judgment is satisfied, the court may entertain a motion to vacate the judgment.  Some courts will vacate based on satisfaction of the judgment, while others will require a showing of some inaccuracy in the judgment itself.  I would call the office of the clerk of the judgment court and have a chit-chat with them about prior court precedent on such motions.

Message 3 of 4
Viperlx
New Contributor

Hey Guys, 

Thanks for all the great advice here with this matter. I seeked some legal advice on the matter and I was pretty much SOL after everything.  The other day I said....lets dispute the public records with all 3 credit bureaus.  Guess what....ALL REMOVED!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

This gives me hope to try my luck with GW letters.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.