cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I must admit I feel Stupid!!

tag
lisal101370

Re: I must admit I feel Stupid!!

Thank you Starting Over10 for your positive words. Our combined income is about $90,000.00. I have been saving all my loose change ( I know it's not much) but the last time I took it to cash it in it was right at about $60.00. We have eliminated the cable extras, cut out netflix, bought less expensive groceries, changed our cell phone plan to a lower one, stopped buying gifts for people (cards only for birthdays, new babies, etc.....I am a HUGE gift giver and tend to overspend on others) etc...some small changes.

As for the balance chase, I believe that is happening. I had $7600.00 credit limit from Rooms To Go last month, I logged in to pay this month and I was reduced to $1600.00 credit limit with a balance of $1576.00 so I guess they cut it down just enough to cover what I owe them.

Not as concerned with higher credit card limits in the future, more so with just the over all score better. We want to purchase a home, have VA eligibility, but with our scores it won't happen anytime soon. I hate that this happened and am afraid we are looking at 7.5 years before we can purchase a home.

Message 11 of 15
empiror22
Regular Contributor

the other guys have given some good advice on your current issues, i personally would pay the accounts with the higher interest first (instead of the lowest balance, i think in the long run it will save you money). 

But i will make a few comments about the VA home loan thing. 

1st:  VA guidelines say something like you should not have a missed payment in 2 years (however you can usually explain if over 1 year, depends on situation), no I MEAN NO MISSED Payements within 1 year.  So fix the issues now and you could be in a VA Loan faster then you think.

2nd:  Scores will increase over time, (with good payment history),  Many lenders for VA loans have lower "score requirements" then other loan types ( I have of a company or two that will lend money to approx 580 credit score, again work on payments and GWs and you should be above the 580 or higher in a year maybe 2)

3rd: look in veterans united, i have heard good things about them  with people whom have similiar issues

Message 12 of 15
lisal101370

thank you empiror22 for the input...I hope that is the case and that we can get in a home sooner.

2 years is better than 7.5 if we can do that it would be Awesome. I plan on getting as much paid off as I can and then keeping a very low running amount on one card once they are paid off. My student loans will be years before I can pay them off as well as our car payments.

Hopefully, if everything is paid down and all payments on time and as agreed going forward we will qualify in a couple of years.

I'm so glad I posted here. I've been reading this board for months trying to absorb as much information as I can.

Thank you everyone for your advice and words of wisdom. It is very much appreciated.

Message 13 of 15
empiror22
Regular Contributor

just to let you know, i got my info from a VA loan underwriter policy work book ( ie the ones that real underwriters use when doing VA loans).  So keep up the good work and you'll fix your credit and have a home in no time.

Message 14 of 15
lisal101370

thank you empiror22. Is there anywhere on line that I could find the guidelines you are referring to? I would love to see what all it says.

Also, in reagrds to VA loans do different lenders have different requirements or do they strictly follow VA guidelines?

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.