Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need advice

I know the fastest way to boost your credit score is to pay off old collections and pay off credit cards. Is there anything else that can be done to boost my credit about 30 points in about 2 months? I have a student loan, car pmt and 2 credit cards that only carry a 10% balance. I have 2 old collections from 4 years ago, I have heard paying them off might harm your credit so I am not inclined to pay those off.  We really need to get a mortgage in the next 4 months, so I need to boost my score up soon. Thank you for your advice.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: I need advice

@Anonymous wrote:

I know the fastest way to boost your credit score is to pay off old collections and pay off credit cards. Is there anything else that can be done to boost my credit about 30 points in about 2 months? I have a student loan, car pmt and 2 credit cards that only carry a 10% balance. I have 2 old collections from 4 years ago, I have heard paying them off might harm your credit so I am not inclined to pay those off.  We really need to get a mortgage in the next 4 months, so I need to boost my score up soon. Thank you for your advice.

For the credit cards, do you mean they both report 10% utilization at the time the cc reports to the CRA? If so, pay one off so it is zero and you might have to pay the other one to less than 4% and it might get you the points you need. With two cards both showing balances it will reduce your score.

Do you have any missed payments showing on your cr rep (30, 60, 90)?

What else is on your report?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need advice

Thank you for the advice on the credit cards.. I will get those paid off. Also, I have 2 accounts that are open and in collections. One is a $10,000 old credit card, and the other is a $350 medical bill.

I also have the 2 credit cards, a few student loans that have not been late since they have been turned over to the Department of Education,

and a car pmt that has never been late.

I have several student loans that were reporting to be late for the past few years...even though I was paying them through Department of Education. They have since been closed and gone to a $0 balance.

A old car pmt that was paid off years ago.

An old mortgage that was paid

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.