Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help...I'm at the end of my rope

tag
gottastartsometime
Valued Member

Re: I need help...I'm at the end of my rope

Success? Maybe?

I finally got ahold of the attorneys office to see if the company had accepted my offer of $500 to settle the case. She said no, BUT they will take $1K and close the file. My satisfaction of judgement will be filed when they receive my payment, garnishment will be stopped and they'll send me the paperwork showing this. This means....I DON'T HAVE TO GO BANKRUPT!!!!!!

OMG...I'm so happy. Well, MAD that I have to pay another thousand dollars, but OMG that's soooo much better than ruining any progress I've made over the last few months.

Here's my latest question...

Can I trust that the attorneys office will do what they've said without getting this in writing? Or do I need to INSIST that I get something showing that they'll settle for 1 thousand...

Message 21 of 28
jahnny
Established Member

After what they have done to you I wouldn't do anything without it being in writing!
Message 22 of 28
gottastartsometime
Valued Member

Message 23 of 28
gottastartsometime
Valued Member

I now have an email stating that a 1k payment will close the account in full. Attorneys office is sending a letter on their letterhead stating the same thing.

I'm 1k poorer but WOOHOO!!!!!!
Message 24 of 28
Hopingforamortgage
Contributor

I am so glad for you. It was painful just reading it, I can't imagine living it. So glad there was success and someone show some mercy!
Message 25 of 28
LadyLeah
Contributor

I am so glad this came to a happy ending. My ears were blowing steam while reading this whole thread! I don't remember being this angry in a long time.

You got some really good advice in this thread, and I'm so glad you didn't have to go the BK route (I believe that would have been a colossal, though understandable, mistake). I know you're glad to have this behind you, but I hope that you'll strongly consider contacting your state representatives and senators, the district attorney, and your news stations' investigative reporters to get this story out. Missouri needs to change that law, and you could be the face of that change. In fact, they may even name the law after you. I strongly urge you to press on and not let this be the end. Do you know how many other people are out there in Missouri dealing with this same battle? No doubt you'll be joined by others once you put it out there.

Best wishes.

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 28
gottastartsometime
Valued Member

Well, would all of you like an update on this terrible story??

I purchased 2 money orders for $500 each, went to the local post office and sent them certified mail along with a copy of the email detailing the settlement. Its now 7 days later and guess what? The damn post office has LOST my package. According to the tracking number, it should've delivered last Friday. The post office has been totally NOT helpful in finding it. I'm so mad. I had TWO WEEKS to get the money to the attorney or the settlement offer would be rescinded. Guess what today was? My 2 weeks. I've called the attorney every day to see if its shown up, no luck. Thankfully they've given me one more week to send in another thousand dollars.

I wonder how long a refund on the original money orders will take. I'm mad, sick to my stomach and about to cry. My husband is mad at me for getting in this mess to begin with and now even more so now that I have to dip into our household money to pay this AGAIN. I think I need a massage. I'm so tense.
Message 27 of 28
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Very sorry to hear this! Seems you can't catch a break.. I hope it works out, Good luck we are rooting for you!

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.