Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help badly!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need help badly!!!!!

There are two collections on my credit reports from apartments that I NEVER lived in.  I have disputed with the CR and contacted the collection company directly.  I have faxed them everything they've asked for short of my blood type and first born.  This has been going on for several months and the collections ($7300) is killing my scores.  I am at wits end as I am trying to get USDA financing and again the collections are killing me.  My landlord has sent copies of my leases for the last seven years as well as copies of cancelled checks...I have sent copies of cashed money orders and cashier's checks, but the collection agency will not delete the erroneous accounts from my CR  Any suggestions??  I'm getting desperate!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: I need help badly!!!!!

Wait, what do you mean "you never lived in?" Are you saying theres 1 apartment that you never resided in and another apartment thats saying you still owe money?
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have collections for an apartment complex you never lived in, I would do 2 things.

Some will disagree, but I would contact the apartment complex directly and ask about this account. Ask for proof of the debt. If they admit that you never lived there, then ask for fax number, Fax them a letter giving them X days to call off the CA and get the accounts off your reports or you are suing both them and the CA.

If the apartment complex insists that this is your debt, file a police report and ID theft affidavit. Send copies to both the CA and the CRA.

Check out the FTCs website regarding ID theft below. It walks you through the process and provides sample letters to send to the CRA and the CA.

DEFEND: Recover from Identity Theft

Message 3 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

First send DV letters to the CA(s) that have the accounts.  File complaints with the AG of your state and the state of the CA(s), BBB, and the FTC.

If you have never lived in the apartments they are not going to be able to validate.

When you disputed with the CRA, what did you use as the basis for the dispute?

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are two different apartment complexes that I have never resided.  I have been renting the same house for the last seven years and am attempting to purchase this house.  I originally contacted the complexes who have been bought and sold three times.  When I finally found someone, I was directed to the collection agency as both complex managers claim not to have any of the paperwork such as applications, etc.

I have requested the same from the collection agencies only to received "threatening" letters demanding payment.  I was pretty close to writing it will be a cold day in hades, but decided to contact this group for more "professional" and unbiased advise.  Filing an ID theft report in Phoenix, AZ has been a next to my worse nightmare.  Urrgghhh!!!

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My basis of the dispute...well is that I have never lived at either complex and have resided in the same place since 12/01.  I feel like a dog chasing its tail and the tail is winning!
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have contacted both the OC and CA and no one can provide you with proof of the debt, I would either file complaints with the BBB, your AG, and their AG as suggested and if nothing happens, send ITS letter and follow through.

Or, just send the ITS letter and if they don't provide proof of debt or remove, file suit.

Other than that.....filing ID theft affidavits is your only other option.

Thing is, your ID might not have actually been stolen, it could be the CA. Is it the same CA for both complexes?

I bet if you get the AG and BBB on them that you might actually get something done. Thing is, it was like 45 days or so before my AG ever sent me a follow up asking for more information regarding the complaint and hadn't even contacted the CA yet. So, if you are in a hurry, this may not be the route you want.

AZ requires CAs to be licensed and/or bonded, have you checked to see if they are?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have followed your suggestions and the collection agency for the apartment complexes will not budge.  I requested copies of any applications, cashed checks, etc, and to date they have not provided.  I have filed a compliant with FTC and will be filing one with the Phoenix area BBB.  I'm going to look for the ITS letter and send it.  These two things are killing my scores and until they're resolved, it's impacting my getting a mortgage through the USDA.  I've already lost one house trying to get this settled.

Is there anything else I should do?  Any suggestions appreciated!!

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I can try to help you!!!   Ask for original copies of the lease. Email me private and I can maybe give you more advice.  I have much experience in Property Mangement for Apts.  I have other avenues you may be able to take or at least try based on records most usually keep and are required to do so...Smiley Wink  I might need Management Co the one I worked for was National and I am still learning about TOS on this site.  Tell me how to do that or show me where.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Further, if it was a UD that was filed, there are court records.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.