Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help coming up with a plan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need help coming up with a plan

Hello Everyone,

Very happy to have stumbled across this forum.  I need help forming a game plan and honestly I don't know where to start out. 

The Goal: Increase my credit score in order to get a better interest rate on a home loan.

Short Story (can skip): Been with my current employer for a few years, small business so everyone here is pretty friendly/open.  My employer asked me how come I didn't buy a house as it would save me money, I had always thought owning my own house was out of reach/too expensive.  I am currently paying $1100 + all utilties renting a house and after a bit of searching for what kind of houses I would want in my area, my house payment including taxes and insurance range between $700-$900.  So financially it would be in my best interest to buy a house, not only for the monthly savings but also tax credits, etc.

Current Credit Score: 600

I have nothing on my report other then student loans - some deferred.  I recently reconsolidated all my student loans (as I was paying some, but some other loans got split into smaller amounts and those amounts were the deferred ones - I don't know how this works but I was paying on 2 loans previously and thought I had everything cleared up.  Turns out I didn't and in the consolidation process learned that I had 5 loans.  The total amount was what I thought it was but I had only been paying on 2 of those) so am paying on that now monthly.

I also do have a credit card (Capital One) with a $750.00 limit but had to put a large car repair on it 2 months ago and am slowlying paying that off.  I have never been late on making a minimum payment on this card and often times pay more then the minimum.

And that is the only two things on my report.  I was playing around with the mortage calulator on Zillow and found the lower interest rates on a mortage much more attractive once I reached the 640 mark.  Minus the 3.5% down payment, I pretty much qualify for an FHA loan but really want to work on getting a better interest rate.

My current lease is due in June however I'm not sure if I could come up with 3.5% by then, so I'm figuring another year renting at my current location.  So that gives me roughly a year and a half to get my score up.

As the title states, beyond paying down my current credit card I don't know what else I should be doing to increase my score.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.