TrishN
Established Contributor

I need help from DV to collections

I sent DV to collections.

I asked for:

Ogirinal copy with my signature on it.

My payment history.

They return with regular mail.

They said they will notify credit reporting that I dispute.

So wnext is next? I asked for document not a dispute.

Thank you please help

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I need help from DV to collections

Per the FDCPA, they don't have to provide a contract copy or payment history. You can certainly ask for it though. You'll have more luck contacting the OC for that info. If you sent a DV letter and invoked the FDCPA within that letter, they will have to provide you the balance, OC name, their contact info, and a copy of the judgment if sued.

Message 2 of 9
TrishN
Established Contributor

What is FDCPA? Please 

1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

§ 809.  Validation of debts   [15 USC 1692g]

(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

(c) The failure of a consumer to dispute the validity of a debt under this section may not be construed by any court as an admission of liability by the consumer.

Message 4 of 9
TrishN
Established Contributor

Do I need to send them another letter mention about FDCPA?

1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When did you receive their formal collection ("dunning") notice, advising you of their collection on the debt?

If you send a DV after 30 days from dunnning notice, it places no cease collection bar on them, and they can proceed without response.

Even if timely (i.e., sent within 30 days of dunning notice), it still does not compel their response.  It imposes a cease collection bar on them until they obtain verification of the debt and forward that statement to the consumer.  As stated in an earlier post, verification need not provide docuentary evidence to support their statement of verification.

The overiding issue remains the unpaid debt.  A DV, if timely, will shut off their active collection activities until such time as they chose to provide verification, but once they do so, you still have the issue of the debt to deal with. 

The DV process is primarily a temporary reprieve provided to consumers against collection activities until they have been provided sufficient information to enable them to evaluate where the debt supposedly originated, and its current amount. 

Message 6 of 9
TrishN
Established Contributor

I never receive any note from them. When I pulled my credit report. They just in there.

1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If you just found it on yur CR and never received a dunning notice, I would consider the DV timely.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 9
TrishN
Established Contributor

I did complaint with BBB . They return they send for me a not in 2011. But I never get it

1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.