Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help with Portfolio Recovery Associates

tag
A1Credit
Established Contributor

I need help with Portfolio Recovery Associates

I sent PRA a DV letter requesting the breakdown of the balance they say I owe on two separate accounts.  Initially they sent me a letter just basically rehashing what is stated on the credit reports.  Shortly after they sent a statement from 2013 and 2014 for one of the accounts.  Okay this is where I get confused... the amount listed on the most recent statement they sent (2014) has a different balance than what is reporting.  Also in reporting to the CRA they state that the original balance was $1,374 but the current balance is $1,348 as if I made a payment to them.  I have never made any contact with PRA, prior to seeing them on my CRA recently and sending the DV.  I never received a notice in the mail or only recently realized that it was them that was constantly calling my phone and hanging up.  I have no problem with paying but I want to pay the correct amount.  Since I have begun this argument with them and I am sort of afraid that they will sue as retaliation for me "fighting back."  Along with the two statements they sent me a credit card agreement dated 2012, which does state arbitration is an option under FAA.  What should I do?  Do I just sit and wait?  They have not sent any documentation for the other account.  I'm sort of nervous now.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need help with Portfolio Recovery Associates

i have done a DV 2x from them and each time they have sent me back the same documents.  IMO it doesnt validate nothing.  They simply send me 2 statement balances and say they have verified the account.  PRA is going to be a tough one to crack.  IMO if you know its legit; just move on to the next one.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

as for the amount owed; i can understand your frustration.  My highest balance fluxuates between 6100 and 7100 from the same auto loan.  So its like which one do I refer to if I wanna pay.  IMO, if youre willing to pay / settle; tell them you have a copy of X report or X statement ( the lowest balance ) and say you will fax them a copy of it.  use that as your benchmark to start negatiations.

Message 3 of 21
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Thank you so much for replying!!! I just want someone to talk about this with as I am pretty much dealing with it alone.  It's not a matter of legitmacy but more so the fact that I don't want to pay more than I have to.  I think they should be required to give me a breakdown of how they arrived at the amount they did.  Since they are using the statement to "verify" the debt then they should be able to tell me why the amount listed on the statement is less than what they are saying that I owe.  If it is fees then tell me so.  You said they you moved on so did you pay them or are you just waiting them out?  Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Message 4 of 21
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Since these accounts stem from credit card accounts from 2013, I no longer have any statements to provide to them especially since I no longer lived at the address they were continuing to send statements to.  I'm at their mercy it seems but I would think it would be simple to just give me the breakdown if the amount they are trying to collect on is infact legit.  It seems like that shold be a consumer right.  No one pays for anything without getting a breakdown of fees included in an amount, whether it is for a auto repair or paying for any other service or good.  This is ridiculous!  

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

in my case, I know the account is legit so doing the DV was a panic reaction when I saw it on my report.  My situation is unique because i dont owe them a lot of money.  under 500.00 so because they are frigen ball busters when you try and talk about deletions; i moved on to the next collection that I know would PFD.  If you are rebuilding then my opinion is to make 1 round of calls to the collections that you know if they accept a PFD; that you have the money right then and there.  PRA are pretty good with records keeping and it may take a number of calls to get to a number / balance that you agree with.  As i mentioned before, i have multiple accounts with numerous balances all differant amounts.  I pick the smallest amount and work from that.   If you call them and say I have a bill for 700.00 and they say well we have a account will you owing 850.00; start the negotiations with that YOU can prove.  I am not sure if i am answering your question at all.  I feel like im just rambeling lol.....

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to find out the statute of limitations for your state that is how long they can sue you for a debt. In California where I live it's 4 years. Since they are a 3rd party debt collector they bought your debt from the original creditor for way less than what you owed them. If you are within the sol then offer them starting at 10% of what the original debt is and say to them you want to delete it from your credit report whatever amount you both settle on. You must negotiate through mail send it certified with  returned sighted signature make copies of the letter in case they try to break the deal and try to sue you you have proof of everything. 

Message 7 of 21
A1Credit
Established Contributor

I understand perfectly what you are saying.  I have paid others that I owe, even those that will not delete but PRA sort of rub me the wrong way.  They were very accusatory when talking to them on the phone and kept asking questions trying to get me to admit certain things when I explained that I never received a notice.  Hopefully they will not try and retaliate and I can let this one sleep for a minute while I take care of other things. They are the only one that I owe currently but I am trying to work on getting some lates removed or tradlines deleted all together since I have since settled the accounts.

Message 8 of 21
A1Credit
Established Contributor

I'm in TN so the SOL is 6 years.  I still have 3 years to go.  It is my understanding from reading old threads on this board and others that PRA will not PFD.  So my only option is to try and settle or hope my some miracle they delete the collection altogether, which will probably never happen.

Message 9 of 21
A1Credit
Established Contributor

I think it is unfair for a debt once paid to follow you for seven years. I think it should stick around for no more than a year once PAID.  Companies default on payments all the time and are constantly awarded with bailouts and second chances.  I make a mistake and fall on hard times and I have to pay for 7.5 long years.  

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.