Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some advice, please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need some advice, please!

I filed for CH 7 back in May of 13' and it was discharged in Aug of 13'. I have since not had any credit cards or loans of any sort, not even a car loan. My credit scores are EX: 588; EQ: 637; TU 597. I guess i'm wondering what credit cards I should apply for, I had two Capital One CC's that were part of the BK, so I don't think they are an option. My bank (USAA) offers a secured CC but it doesn't transfer to an unsecured and I read somewhere that once you get a secured CC other lenders don't want to give you an unsecured CC? Is this true? Should I get a secured CC? Or just wait sometime and try for a regular CC? Is there an unsecured card that I may be able to obtain now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

Re: I need some advice, please!

@Anonymous wrote:

I filed for CH 7 back in May of 13' and it was discharged in Aug of 13'. I have since not had any credit cards or loans of any sort, not even a car loan. My credit scores are EX: 588; EQ: 637; TU 597. I guess i'm wondering what credit cards I should apply for, I had two Capital One CC's that were part of the BK, so I don't think they are an option. My bank (USAA) offers a secured CC but it doesn't transfer to an unsecured and I read somewhere that once you get a secured CC other lenders don't want to give you an unsecured CC? Is this true? Should I get a secured CC? Or just wait sometime and try for a regular CC? Is there an unsecured card that I may be able to obtain now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

My option is YES, get a secured card! You need to start the rebuild and this is a good way of starting. Don't worry about the card converting to an unsecured card, you can go that route once your ready with other cards.  Get that card with USAA and build that relationship with them and it will serve you well in the future!  Virtually everyone that has to start over will go the secured route.  It's simply not true that you will be "black listed" in any way from getting unsecured when you re-establish your credit.  Others will chime in I'm sure on other ways that you can start your journey back!  Good luck and remember time heals ALL!

CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

I would advise you to first obtain your reports from the 3 CRAs via US Mail and make sure all your accounts are properly reporting IIB, once they all are then I would proceed to obtain new credit.

Message 3 of 7
laurenjessica
Frequent Contributor

Cap 1 is also surprisingly friendly. I had a previous account with them that had a ton of missed payments, and they still gave me 2 new cards. 

Credit cards:
NUS000000091-480x304-STRAIGHT-96unnamedmissionlanemobileIRIDESCENTpaypal-cashback-credit-card-16373091c11536849downloadvenmoTJX-Rewards-Platinum-Mastercardcardart-prim-645x406
AU Cards:
disney-premier-cardNUS000000327-480x304-STRAIGHT-96NUS000000269-480x304-STRAIGHT-96
Store Cards:
Credit-Card-Large61d9c1a7-5683-4228-8bb4-c2747006069dAPSC-SECUREDCARD-CB658179059Kohls-CC-no-egt-SM-RGBpinkimg093647Paypal-Credit-Logo-Ameri-Commerceimg056321sc-plus-black-Creditcard
Auto loan:
toyota

Actively rebuilding since August 2022.

Starting FICO 8 scores (8/24/2022):

Current FICO 8 scores (2/12/2024):
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest the BOFA secured card. If you have the funds I would maximize my relationship with them by putting 5k into a secure card that will graduate in 6 months with heavy usage. Its a big commitment of 5k but in 6 months you will have unsecured the card for 5k or more allowing you to free up a large credit limit, but then again it depends on your goals overall. Other banks will see your 5k card and approve limits around that range so theoretically its an investment in your credit limits for the future.

Best of Luck!

Message 5 of 7
chbartel
Regular Contributor

me and my wife both have two capital one cards in collections that I am in process of negotating the debt....and Capital One still gave both me and my wife TWO of their credit cards!  Our scores right now are about 600 or so....so I would still try them and see what happens. They gave me $3k and $2k on my cards and my wife got the same limits...

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help, everyone! I will take all of your advice and make my next move. Cheers to all.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.