Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some help - mortgage problem.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need some help - mortgage problem.

I need some direction on how to handle this problem. 

I filed for Chapter 7 and was discharged in 11/09. I did not include my PHH mortgage in the BK since I was in the process of a loan modification and making the trial payments.  I signed the mod agreement and made the payments I was supposed to be making.  I never received a copy of that agreement signed and recorded as they stated they would.

In October 2010, I received a letter congratulating me for completing one year of trail payments. In the same week, I got a new modification agreement stating that PHH made an error and I was to sign and return the new agreement. I did, and again, never received a signed and recorded copy.   2 weeks later I got an intent to forclose letter.  I was floored!

Turns out, PHH Mortgage was collecting my payments as agreed in the first package and holding them.  On my 1 year anniversary, they applied all the payments, which of course came up 4 months short since they believe I should have been paying the higher amount, and reported my 120 late on each month.  Not only did I have to make those up, I was now going to be late on the next 5 months and put a payment plan in place.  PHH said if I made those payments as agreed, they would not report.  Guess what... they did.  Now I'm also showing 4 months at 30 days late (12/10 - 3/11). 

To this day, I still do not have a signed copy of my modification agreement, nor do I have a copy of the note, or anything else for that matter.

Another thing - the entry on my TU report shows a balance almost 37K higher than what my principle balance shows on the online account info page.  I'm pretty sure this is due to deferred principle in the modification. 

The account is reported as $0 balance on the other 2 CRA's and IIB, which it was not.  I think I'm just gonna let that slide... Smiley Wink

I have no idea where to go next to get this fixed, as I'm sure there's no way they're going to remove the lates.  Any input from the fine community here?

My scores as of 7/2/11:

TU - 601 myFico / 662 FAKO

EQ - 661 myFico / 652 FAKO

EX - 674 FAKO 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need some help - mortgage problem.

Bump for the day crew...
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone?  Bueller?

Message 3 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Ferris here.  I read your post but I don't know what to tell you to do.  Smiley Happy

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I can't help you with your specific problem...

* have you asked them to send you a copy of what you had signed?

* do you still have a copy of the paperwork they sent congratulating you on the 1 yr completion?

* in the future, photocopy EVERYTHING before sending ANYTHING back to them.

A friend of mine asked me to help interpret his credit report.   Initially, actually for more than a year, he expected the gov't/bank to forgive the difference in his property value and what he owed, as well as drop his interest rate 8.65% to something like 4.5%.   He was financed at a high rate because he had a LONG history of neglecting his creditors as well as an IRS lien or two.   It took a long time working with a bank (Bank of America) to finally get approved for a mortgage.

He applied over and over again with different companies to get a loan modification.  He was never approved for one.  And in his mind, he was entitled to it due to a drop in income and being upside down on his mortgage.  He continued to ignore his bills during this waiting period, and skipped a few mortgage payments.  And in his mind, if he didn't pay the January 2010 mortgage until February 28, 2010, he was not *REALLY* 30 days late and they couldn't report him late.  If he skipped February 2010 payment, but made a half payment on March 30, 2010, then he thought he wasn't late at all.   (He just didn't get it!)

So fast forward to the credit report viewing.  I looked at it and asked if he ever got his mortgage modification.  He said sorta.  That BoA sold it to another company and the new company said everything was ok.

I looked closely at the new reporting.  It says the mortgage is a 40 year mortgage.   The friend swears he signed up for a 30 year mortgage.  Went back to see what BoA was reporting.  Sure enough, they were reporting a 40 year mortgage.  

It appears that BofA, as a way to make the account look good, took all of the money past due (fees, payments, interest) and added it to the back end of the loan, changing the term from 30 years to 40 years.  Then sold the loan to another company.   (His payments stayed EXACTLY the same, although property taxes dropped significantly in his area.)

The friend doesn't really care.  He's behind with new company but says it doesn't matter.   In his mind, if the April 2011 payment is made, even partially, by June 1, 2011, he's not late.  Smiley Indifferent   I only have the information he shared with me and what I saw on his credit report.   There could be misunderstandings or information withheld by the friend.  

I hope you can save your house from foreclosure.  And when you get a chance, check your credit report to make sure that your loan wasn't extended on the back end.   

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have copies of everything that was sent, and I did request signed and recorded documents from them at least 3 times.  I still have not received a copy.  As far as I'm concerned, since I do not have this, I dont know what would stop them from sending another set of papers out stating that they made a mistake again.  I am current on my mortgage now, but the problem with the lates - even though it was their fault - is that I cant get them removed.

Message 6 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Did the lates occur during the period of your modification?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was making the paymets as agreed on in the first set of modification papers.  Since PHH claims that was not the amount I should have been paying, they held my payments for a year, then batch applied them.  This left me 4 months short and they reported me 120 late, even though I received a letter congratulating me on making my payments for the first year, then sent a forclosure notice 2 weeks later.  I made arrangements to repay and get current.  I was sent a letter that said if I completed the replayment plan, that the negatives would only stay on for the time period that I was on the plan.  I did as they asked, and then I got reported as 30 late the next 4 months. 

I'm current now, and I've done everything I was asked to do.  I've asked to have the lates removed 3 times now, and I'm waiting for a decision on that.  This is only one of the issues I have.

Another is the fact that I've received modification agreements 3 different times now, each with different terms, payments, etc.  I've even had $17,000 added to my principal - for what reason, no one can seem to explain to me. 

I'm seriously stressed and about to lose my mind.

Message 8 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I don't know if this would help, but file a complaint with the BBB in your area.   When you write your compliant, be very specific about 

* what is wrong 

* how you want it resolved

A communication from the BBB may have a positive effect on the late reporting (ie: the bank agreeing to remove the inaccurate reporting) and it may help you find a resolution to which loan modification the bank really wants to do.

Message 9 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen other posts in here, but under a mod, you are usually marked late each month, even if the payments were 100% on time. IMO, it is unfair but the logic is that payments were less than the original contract amount. Same applies with many car lenders per deferred payments and CC payment plans under a hardship. I'd GW them.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.