cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need tips on rebuilding my fiancee's credit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need tips on rebuilding my fiancee's credit!

Me and my fiancee are looking to buy a home, I've been approved for a loan by myself, but not for the amount that we need. So we NEED to get her credit up. We've began taking the right steps by paying off collections, and resolving issues with student loans. So far we've paid off 3 collections, but all 3 are still reporting with all of the negative payment history, all they've done is changed the status to payment recieved / settled on payment etc. The only other negatives are her student loans which are about to come out of default but I fear the same negative information showing. And she has medical bills on hold, and there's no telling when those will come off of that hold so we can just pay them. Because she's an AU on my cards, she has a great utilization / to limit ratio. But that's not doing enough...

So what can we do? Is there a way to have these accounts removed from her report? Should they have already been removed once paid? I feel that for the next several years, until these negatives come off the report, we're never going to get her to the 640 score we need to be approved for a home...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
J91605
Frequent Contributor

Re: I need tips on rebuilding my fiancee's credit!

The paid collections will stay on her report for seven years from the date of first  delinquency. Unless you can convince the CA to have it removed. Best option is to start sending good will letters. As for the other stuff you need to post a more specifics.

Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Me and my fiancee are looking to buy a home, I've been approved for a loan by myself, but not for the amount that we need. So we NEED to get her credit up. We've began taking the right steps by paying off collections, and resolving issues with student loans. So far we've paid off 3 collections, but all 3 are still reporting with all of the negative payment history, all they've done is changed the status to payment recieved / settled on payment etc. The only other negatives are her student loans which are about to come out of default but I fear the same negative information showing. And she has medical bills on hold, and there's no telling when those will come off of that hold so we can just pay them. Because she's an AU on my cards, she has a great utilization / to limit ratio. But that's not doing enough...

So what can we do? Is there a way to have these accounts removed from her report? Should they have already been removed once paid? I feel that for the next several years, until these negatives come off the report, we're never going to get her to the 640 score we need to be approved for a home...

Is she in a rehab program for the student loans?

Does she have any credit cards of her own?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would I have her write these letters to the debt collector or the credit reporting agency?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

She is in a rehab program yes, and just completed it, next month the loans will be out of default.

She doesn't have any credit cards of her own..
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old is the debt?

You would write the GW letter to whoever owns the debt at the moment, which is the CA.

Message 6 of 9
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Im pretty sure that lenders don't like when a person is only an AU on other credit cards and don't have any of their own. You might want to look into that as if may affect your chances of getting her approved for the mortgage loan. 

Message 7 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@kwinks wrote:

Im pretty sure that lenders don't like when a person is only an AU on other credit cards and don't have any of their own. You might want to look into that as if may affect your chances of getting her approved for the mortgage loan. 

Agreed... revolving credit cards are the best way to see score increases.

Your accounts, not AU accounts.

If the girlfriend can't get cards of her own... work on her profile until she can.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
She is in a rehab program yes, and just completed it, next month the loans will be out of default.

She doesn't have any credit cards of her own..

Keep monitoring her files until the rehab is completed - at that point the derogs should be removed and they will be positive tradelines. At that point have her apply for a couple of capital one cards. If she gets approved for them, then remove her as AU on your accounts, and let her scores start building on her own.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.