Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really need help on this one!!!! Please advice before I make the CALL

tag
percy81
Frequent Contributor

I really need help on this one!!!! Please advice before I make the CALL

Good day everyone, last year I got a collection account that popped out of the wood work and cost me 80 points!!!! This was when my scores were 720-740. It was the situation where I went to the doctors and they give you like 15 different people you need to pay and 15 different bils, well I missed one, not sure if I even received it? Either way i called the collection agency and got a PFD. Now, I JUST received a collection notice from a bill from april, 2008 !!!!!! And on the letter they're willing to settle with 30% off leaving the total to be 120.00 I'm about to call and pay this, BUT and theres a BIG BUT, it HASN'T REPORTED YET TO THE CREDIT BUREAUS, IF I call and pay this bill ( I have no idea where it came from, medical it shows) will they report it AFTER I pay as being debt paid in full??? 

I don't want it to EVER report!!!! My scores are from 760-780 (just pulled today to make sure nothing reported) and I know fako, but credit sesame has 775 for a score, which means i could possibly lose 100-125 points from this!!!!Smiley Sad 

Please help before I make the call, if they are plainning on reporting after I pay then I will just wait it out, I mean its from april 2008 Smiley Sad I like to pay my bills, if I owe money its my responsibiliy to pay, but this isn't fair an honest citizen that is responsible keeps getting crapped on because they can't consolidate the medical bills, I know several people do several things at the doctors, but they should settle with themselves AFTER a patient pays there ONE bill. 

Incase you need this info: The collection Agency is Convergent. They also have my old maiden name on there it's so old. Please help, I have knots in my stomach, please ignore the typos, tying while nervous and anxious and don't care if I misuse commas or misspell cat for kat. I'm sadSmiley Sad

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: I really need help on this one!!!! Please advice before I make the CALL

@percy81 wrote:

Good day everyone, last year I got a collection account that popped out of the wood work and cost me 80 points!!!! This was when my scores were 720-740. It was the situation where I went to the doctors and they give you like 15 different people you need to pay and 15 different bils, well I missed one, not sure if I even received it? Either way i called the collection agency and got a PFD. Now, I JUST received a collection notice from a bill from april, 2008 !!!!!! And on the letter they're willing to settle with 30% off leaving the total to be 120.00 I'm about to call and pay this, BUT and theres a BIG BUT, it HASN'T REPORTED YET TO THE CREDIT BUREAUS, IF I call and pay this bill ( I have no idea where it came from, medical it shows) will they report it AFTER I pay as being debt paid in full??? 

I don't want it to EVER report!!!! My scores are from 760-780 (just pulled today to make sure nothing reported) and I know fako, but credit sesame has 775 for a score, which means i could possibly lose 100-125 points from this!!!!Smiley Sad 

Please help before I make the call, if they are plainning on reporting after I pay then I will just wait it out, I mean its from april 2008 Smiley Sad I like to pay my bills, if I owe money its my responsibiliy to pay, but this isn't fair an honest citizen that is responsible keeps getting crapped on because they can't consolidate the medical bills, I know several people do several things at the doctors, but they should settle with themselves AFTER a patient pays there ONE bill. 

Incase you need this info: The collection Agency is Convergent. They also have my old maiden name on there it's so old. Please help, I have knots in my stomach, please ignore the typos, tying while nervous and anxious and don't care if I misuse commas or misspell cat for kat. I'm sadSmiley Sad

Most times; the reason they send dunnings before reporting is to use that to their advantage..

I have paid a few debts before going to collection. None have reported. Most people experience that they will not report if you pay them before it reports, since that is just extra work for them..

However, they may report... but I would take the chance personally

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 4
percy81
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE: Okay, I called Convergent and spoke to a really nice lady. I know people say not to trust collection collectors, but this lady was generally nice.  She said since the collection was never reported to the credit bureau, once I pay this bill it WILL NOT be reported because I asked her, " since this is not reporting yet, if I pay my bill will you still report it as paid debt because paid debt an unpaid is equal in scoring?" and she said, " I promise that this will be deleted from our computers and WILL NOT see the light of day on your reports!" then she giggled, I actually enjoyed talking to her. So, i'll find out next month or whenever if she keeps her word, but she sounded genuine.

I explained that I pay my bills, but sometimes one falls through the cracks when there are several people waiting for their portion and she understood.

So for anyone else needing answers to this same topic, here's my story. if you get a letter and it's not reporting CALL IMMEDIATLEY, especially if it's for a small amount, because that 120.00 would have costed me thousands when trying for a mortage in the future or best interest rates on other things. My own experience from last year was they reported it to the credit bureau before I knew of the bill and lost 80 points (estimate) and when I did a pay for a delete, I think I only got back 30-40 points of that 80 back, (not sure if my numbers are exact, but you get the point) so if you get a letter and pull your report and it's not showing yet, CALL and be polite. Smiley Happy

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 3 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@percy81 wrote:

UPDATE: Okay, I called Convergent and spoke to a really nice lady. I know people say not to trust collection collectors, but this lady was generally nice.  She said since the collection was never reported to the credit bureau, once I pay this bill it WILL NOT be reported because I asked her, " since this is not reporting yet, if I pay my bill will you still report it as paid debt because paid debt an unpaid is equal in scoring?" and she said, " I promise that this will be deleted from our computers and WILL NOT see the light of day on your reports!" then she giggled, I actually enjoyed talking to her. So, i'll find out next month or whenever if she keeps her word, but she sounded genuine.

I explained that I pay my bills, but sometimes one falls through the cracks when there are several people waiting for their portion and she understood.

So for anyone else needing answers to this same topic, here's my story. if you get a letter and it's not reporting CALL IMMEDIATLEY, especially if it's for a small amount, because that 120.00 would have costed me thousands when trying for a mortage in the future or best interest rates on other things. My own experience from last year was they reported it to the credit bureau before I knew of the bill and lost 80 points (estimate) and when I did a pay for a delete, I think I only got back 30-40 points of that 80 back, (not sure if my numbers are exact, but you get the point) so if you get a letter and pull your report and it's not showing yet, CALL and be polite. Smiley Happy

I dealt with Convergent on a debt similarly and had the same experience...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.