Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I did something stupid

tag
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

I think I did something stupid

My husband and I are currently in the process of purchasing a new home.  A few months ago I was going through the re-build process.  

Anyway, I started receiving calls from a company called Southwest Credit Systems and they said I had an outstanding debt form Regions Bank (our old bank) turns out it was for an overdraft for some things that went through after we moved all our money to our new bank.  It ended up being about $600.00.  This was not on our credit report and I knew it was legit.  They offered a settlement for about half of that so I went ahead and paid it to avoid any issues popping up on my credit report. 

Stupid me did not get a receipt just did it on the phone. After everything I learned and had already done to clean up my credit I really should have known better. 

Fast forward to today.  I just receiving a dunning notice a collection agency called EOS CCA??? Offering me a settlement of $83.77 for 279.24 for their client Regions Bank.  So I'm thinking this is the other half of what I paid Southwest Credit Systems. 

Being that I was an idiot and did not get anything in writing,d o you think that I should just go ahead an pay the settlement so it does not show up on my credit report.  Or do I have any recourse.  I have my bank statement showing where I paid SW Credit back in October  but nothing in writing saying that it was a settlement on the $600.00

Thanks for any help! 

Starting Score: 553
Current Score: 710
Goal Score: 659

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
EX:659
EQ: 553
TU: 520
Goal: 659
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Re: I think I did something stupid

Do you know who you spoke to when you made the agreement on the phone? If you have their name, they offered a settlement, you accepted, then I would think  you have a verbal contract. Can anyone else chip in?????     Best wishes!

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 2 of 4
jkwheaton78
Regular Contributor

Yes I do have it all written down in my notebook.  I planned on calling tomorrow and ask them what the heck is going on. 

Starting Score: 553
Current Score: 710
Goal Score: 659

8/18/2012 Lender Pull:
EX:659
EQ: 553
TU: 520
Goal: 659
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

An oral agreement can be just as binding as a written one, just maybe harder to prove.  I would also write the other CA a letter and let them know you settled with so and so on this date, for this amount.  To the best of your knowledge you don't owe a debt.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.