cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I made a mistake with PFD (Pay for Delete)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I made a mistake with PFD (Pay for Delete)

I have about 6 collections on my credit report. Most are about a year old. Some are medical and some are misc collections. I filled out the PFD for the misc collections and I accidently filed one out for one of the medical depts. It was for a docotrs office. The CA for the doctors office replied to my PFD. 

In the PFD I sent, them I said I would pay in full if they delete. In the letter they sent back to me they said they are going to show that I am disputing the account and that they do not settle accounts. Also that the collection process is now going to begin. They said If I pay in full that they will show that on the CR but that they will not delete it.  "once paid in full, the account will be updated only to reflect a paid in full status on your credit file"

They also included the original bill to show I do owe the debt. 

What would you do next? Would you pay it off and just let them mark it "paid" on my CR. I can pay it in full. The money is not the problem, i just want it off my credit

any thoughts or advice appreciated... 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think I made a mistake with PFD (Pay for Delete)

I was thinking.. should I call the doctors office and offer to pay in full if they call the collection agency and let them know I paid or is it to late for this as well?

Just thinking out loud.

Thank you for the great resource.

Message Edited by Sevo on 03-09-2010 08:09 AM
Message 2 of 8
mauve
Valued Contributor

google hippa process. or hipaa process.  WhyChat has a set of letters and the order to do things in - I think one of the big things is to deal with the OC instead. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When dealing with Med CA's, it is generally advised to not communicate with the CA nor DV, unless the HIPAA process fails and there is no alternative.

If at all possible, try to pay the debt and settle with the OC.  If you pay the OC, you have HIPAA grounds to have the CA removed possibly.

Check your PM for a link to HIPAA letter process link.

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I would go ahead and pay it, the hipaa process requires you to pay all medical debt anyways. Once the debt is paid you can follow the hipaa process. Good Luck.
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all of the replies.

I wil call the OC today and see if they will accept a payment from me.

In the letter the CA sent me they mention that  "this account  has been reported as a disputed collection" what does this mean?

Message Edited by Sevo on 03-09-2010 11:19 AM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

update:

I just got off the phone with the OC and they tyook my payment. They said they will call the CA and let them know it has been paid in full.

I asked the lady ( OC) if they will take it off my credit she said NO that the CA will report it as paid. 

I guess my question is now what do I do? Send my Hippa letter?

I really appreciate everyone times and advice

thank you 

Message Edited by Sevo on 03-09-2010 11:27 AM
Message 7 of 8
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Yes start the hipaa process, but i would probably wait til the CA updates the credit report.

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.