cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I might have made a mistake a removing disputes from all credit reports?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I might have made a mistake a removing disputes from all credit reports?

I recently used advice from a mFICO forum post to have 2 disputes (Collections Agencies that I paid in full, but that showed as disputed by consumer, etc., thanks to a credit repair company I was using) that were showing up on all three credit reports.

What I realized after I had the disputes removed, by calling the 3 credit bureaus in person, is that those disputes had been on my credit reports for months. Did I just lose my right to have those negative collections removed by the credit bureaus? 

Isn't it 30 days that the collection agencies have to reply to the dispute investigation?

No I feel like i screwed myself, without proof of previous credit reports, and by removing the disputes, etc....ughhh!!!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: I think I might have made a mistake a removing disputes from all credit reports?

Collections become excluded from your credit report based ONLY on DOFD.

A collection, regardless of whether paid, unpaid, or previously disputed, etc., must be excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD (with the CRAs usually excluding at approx. 7 years).

No, you did not affect the exclusion of any collections by removing dispute comments.

As an aside, was your prior dispute sent to a CRA, or was it sent directly to the debt collector?

If sent to a CRA, then the CRA was under a statutory requirement to conclude their reinvestigation within 30 days of filing of the dispute, and send a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation to you within 5 business days thereafter, so you should not have any unresolved prior disputes older than approx 1 1/2 to 2 months ago.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think I might have made a mistake a removing disputes from all credit reports?

@RobertEG wrote:

Collections become excluded from your credit report based ONLY on DOFD.

A collection, regardless of whether paid, unpaid, or previously disputed, etc., must be excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD (with the CRAs usually excluding at approx. 7 years).

No, you did not affect the exclusion of any collections by removing dispute comments.

As an aside, was your prior dispute sent to a CRA, or was it sent directly to the debt collector?

If sent to a CRA, then the CRA was under a statutory requirement to conclude their reinvestigation within 30 days of filing of the dispute, and send a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation to you within 5 business days thereafter, so you should not have any unresolved prior disputes older than approx 1 1/2 to 2 months ago.

I think it was sent to the CRA's, not the debt collectors.

I never received a Notice of Results back either. How should I move forward?

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would begin by making an informal call to the CRA and inquire as to whether their records show that the dispute was ever concluded.

It is a violation of FCRA 611(a)(1) not to conclude the reinvestigation period within 30 days, and a violation of FCRA 611(a)(5) not to have mailed a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation with 5 business days after concludion of the period for reinvestigation.  Either is subject to complaint to the CFPB and/or civil action against the CRA.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would begin by making an informal call to the CRA and inquire as to whether their records show that the dispute was ever concluded.

It is a violation of FCRA 611(a)(1) not to conclude the reinvestigation period within 30 days, and a violation of FCRA 611(a)(5) not to have mailed a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation with 5 business days after concludion of the period for reinvestigation.  Either is subject to complaint to the CFPB and/or civil action against the CRA.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.