cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've asked before, surely SOMEONE knows...?

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

I've asked before, surely SOMEONE knows...?

My husband has a collection with credit proctection association on his credit report for a bright house networks cable bill for $251 from august 2008, we plan to pay it in the next month or 2, but does anyone have experience with credit protection association or cable bill collections in general? I think I read some where usually cable companies (utilitiy companies in general) can pull the bill out of collections and let you pay them directly. I'm obviously hoping for a PFD, just not sure if I should call bright house first and ask them or what? It is still within SOL until August, but I plan to pay it in July at the latest, would it be stupid to call bright house and ask them about it? Or should I wait until we have the money to pay it?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I've asked before, surely SOMEONE knows...?

Every OC is different. Some will pull it back and some won't. Some will accept payment only to forward that payment to the CA and some won't. Always send a PFD to whomever reports the debt. It never hurts to ask an OC if they'd pull it back from the CA, but they don't have to. And if the CA owns the debt, the OC can't pull back anything because they don't own it.

I'd recommend waiting until you have 100% of the money saved up somewhere, or at least handy access to it before tackling any debt inside SOL. You never would want to engage a collector only to be sued instead despite your good intentions.

Message 2 of 5
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I think its always wise to start with the OC. I would personally wait until I could pay it to make contact because I wouldnt want to open the can of worms until it was time to resolve it.

Message 3 of 5
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Every OC is different. Some will pull it back and some won't. Some will accept payment only to forward that payment to the CA and some won't. Always send a PFD to whomever reports the debt. It never hurts to ask an OC if they'd pull it back from the CA, but they don't have to. And if the CA owns the debt, the OC can't pull back anything because they don't own it.

I'd recommend waiting until you have 100% of the money saved up somewhere, or at least handy access to it before tackling any debt inside SOL. You never would want to engage a collector only to be sued instead despite your good intentions.

I've heard that people have a hard time getting credit proctection association to respond at all, even when they send a DV, they report to the BBB and the TL disappears from the report. So should I do a DV first to the CA and see if they respond? 

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, always start with a DV. Of course you want to watch your SOL too.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.