cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've made a dent, or more like a parking lot ding, but it's something. What now?

tag
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

I've made a dent, or more like a parking lot ding, but it's something. What now?

I'm at a point where I don't know what my best options are for rebuilding my credit.  I posted another thread a few weeks ago about my PRIVATE student loan collections.

My middle score was a 409, and I am determined to raise it to at least an average rating.  In the past three weeks, I've taken it from a 409 to a 464, which obviously still sucks.  Here's a breakdown of what's on my report.  What sort of direction should I take?

I have 15 collections.  That's a lot.  A whole lot, but 9 of them are these private student loans, and they're being reported by Sentry Credit.  The total is about $206,000 according to them.  The original amount borrowed was significantly less, I believe around 65,000 and the rest is late fees and who knows what else.  

Some are from utility companies, Time Warner cable, electric company, etc.  The balances are ranging from $83 to about $400.  

Finally, three are for charged off credit cards.  One is HSBC, charged off in November, 2011 for $428 and one for Continental Finance, which charged off in 2008 with a $300 balance, that has now grown to being reported by two CAs, Frontline Asset, which is saying I owe them $1,138 for the account, and Slovin and Associates law firm, which says $713 is the balance on the same account.  Continental Finance is no longer reporting anything at all on my bureau, balance-wise.  The last credit card is Merrick Bank, which is showing $750 for my Hooters card, which also charged off, in 2010.  They are the OC.

I have a couple of late pays on other things, 30 days, a few 60 days, and a 90 day on one credit card that is still open.  It's been current and under the limkit for the past 5 months.  I also have a Navy Federal secured Visa which has a $0 balance, and that's that.  The other credit card is also a $0 balance right now.

In the past three weeks, I have paid in full a couple of those utility collections, because I was told that they will not negotiate settlements, and the balances were legit balances, with no collection agency fees added.  I settled the HSBC credit card yesterday for 75% of the $428. 

My questoin now is what should I do from here?  Just keep doing what I'm doing?  Should I pay off some collections with my credit cards, and just pay the cards off as I can?  I want to make as much of an impact as possible, while also keeping in mind like I said in my original, these student loans are not anything I can even pretend to be able to pay.  

I have $14,000 in federal student loans which are current, never late, it's the private ones that are overwhelming.

Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: I've made a dent, or more like a parking lot ding, but it's something. What now?

Are you able to rehabilitate the private student loans in some way?  That is such a huge disaster, as you know.  i am so sorry to hear this.  I don't know how they can get away with that. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 9
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Re: I've made a dent, or more like a parking lot ding, but it's something. What now?

I"ve tried to talk to them, but they won't do ANYTHING to help.  No reaging, no payment plan I can afford, nothing.  At this point, I'm basically just waiting every day to get sued, and hope for some mercy from the judge.  It's a horrible position to be in, and it's part of why I let my credit get to the point where it is now, because it just seemed hopeless.  Now I wAnt to clean things up, as much as I can.  I don't know how they can get away with it, either, but it sucks.  

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 3 of 9
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

If I were you, I'd leave the country. Seriously. Find a nice beach in Thailand or Costa Rica. That's what I'd do.

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Believe me, I've considered doing JUST that.  Or at least moving back to NC where I won't have to worry about garnishment or being sued, since the SOL is only 3 years, and they'd be outside that now.  So I'd only have a few years left with it on my credit...  

Baring that, yeah, a move is definitely something I'd considered.  I have my family here, and my wife and I have a daughter, so...  not as easy as it would seem.

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you consolidate through a large lender like Sallie Mae? If you work in public service you may have some sort of options... Just a suggestion.
Message 6 of 9
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Nope, sallie mae says they won't consolidate private loans.  I think the person I talked to may have been misinformed, but I've not called back again afterwards to ask, as I didn't really think it would be an option. I also don't work in the public service, although most of the options that are available only apply to federal student loans, which aren't a problem for me to pay.

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 7 of 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

have you considered filing for bankruptcy?  I know a federally insured student loan is not dischargeable.  But what about a privately held student loan?  I filed for bk back in dec and saw my credit scores jump from 499 to just above 600 in less than 6 months after discharge.  Consult w/ a bk attorney to see about those privately held student loans.  

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 9
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, bk isn't an option. I've already looked into it, and was told that private loans have some loophole that provides them with the same inability to discharge in a bankruptcy. The only difference is that they do have a statute of limitations. Unfortunately, Ohio is a creditor friendly state, so that sol is 15 years, vs north carolina where I used to live, which has a three year statute of limitations.
Scores as of 04/2021

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.