cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to settle my judgement with Cap One but what do I say when I call the law firm?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to settle my judgement with Cap One but what do I say when I call the law firm?

The judgement was for $1700 in 2008.  Last time they contacted me it was up to $2925  with fees and interest. That was one year ago. 

My scores are all between 700-730. (myFico 3B monitoring)  Right now all of my income is exempt under my state statutes, but I'm trying to go back to work which would change that. I'd love to settle now, before I get a job. I can't threaten to file BK since they will likely pull my credit before agreeing to any settlement. 

So my question is: what should I offer, and how do I convince them its in their best interest to settle?

I 'm terrified of contacting them. I'm afraid I'll say something and make this worse. The lawyers handling the case were unbelievably rude and condescending. I already know what I did, but its not like I woke up one day and just said, "I'm not paying my bills anymore."

I could really use any advice I can get. Thanks for listening.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I want to settle my judgement with Cap One but what do I say when I call the law firm?

@Anonymous wrote:

The judgement was for $1700 in 2008.  Last time they contacted me it was up to $2925  with fees and interest. That was one year ago. 

My scores are all between 700-730. (myFico 3B monitoring)  Right now all of my income is exempt under my state statutes, but I'm trying to go back to work which would change that. I'd love to settle now, before I get a job. I can't threaten to file BK since they will likely pull my credit before agreeing to any settlement. 

So my question is: what should I offer, and how do I convince them its in their best interest to settle?

I 'm terrified of contacting them. I'm afraid I'll say something and make this worse. The lawyers handling the case were unbelievably rude and condescending. I already know what I did, but its not like I woke up one day and just said, "I'm not paying my bills anymore."

I could really use any advice I can get. Thanks for listening.

I would send you here to the PFD thread,    http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/m-p/4519/highlight/true#M130     there are examples there that you can see and adapt to your case. A Judgment is a little different that a PFD but the basics are the same. If you can negotiate with them to have the judgment vacated once you pay it then that would get it off your CR. A word of warning, dont contact them unless you are actually in a position to settle you dont want them coming at you with garnishments or other enforcement measures. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I want to settle my judgement with Cap One but what do I say when I call the law firm?

What state are you in?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

IL -- the part we like to refer to as "Crook County".
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

"So my question is: what should I offer, and how do I convince them its in their best interest to settle?"

Convince them you are uncollectable, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. They can only garnish wages if you take home more than $371 a week.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.