Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I went From 400 to 600 in 4 months

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went From 400 to 600 in 4 months

So I started rebuilding in December 2016 last year. I hired Lexington law still using them now and in the 4 months I've had them they have removed 22 collections. My FICO starting out was a 400 something, I hit all the pre qualification sites and came up empty so opened a secured open sky for 200 and after a brutal 3 week waiting period was approved for a secured Citi card for 200. I got an auto loan with Santander Bank for 10k and opened a fresh start account with finger hut. January ended I checked my scores and it had Rose to around 530 on all 3 reports. I hit the pre qualification sites again and came up empty again so I googled easy cards to get with poor credit and found the shopping cart trick gave it a try several times and it never worked. Middle of February a few more collections were removed by Lexington and my open sky and Citi card had been reported along with 1 percent utilization plus my Fingerhut account and my score went up to 550 . I received​ a letter in the mail from simply be.. a store I tried the shopping cart trick at and it was a pre approval for a credit card for 200 dollars. I was ecstatic and quickly went to the website and as soon as I logged in the pop up came up saying I was pre approved so I opened that account and added it to my credit limit. I then hit the pre qualification sites again and this time was pre approved for a credit one Platinum Visa card for 300 my first real unsecured card it felt great. I see that credit one and simply be are issued by commenity bank . I checked the score that they pulled for the credit one Visa and it was from Experian and was a 606 .. My goal is to hit 620 to qualify for a mortgage as of today is been 4 months and I have gained 200 plus points. Any advice on how to get that extra boost our should I just hit the garden and wait. Also on a side note how do I edit my signature.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I went From 400 to 600 in 4 months

@Anonymous wrote:
So I started rebuilding in December 2016 last year. I hired Lexington law still using them now and in the 4 months I've had them they have removed 22 collections. My FICO starting out was a 400 something, I hit all the pre qualification sites and came up empty so opened a secured open sky for 200 and after a brutal 3 week waiting period was approved for a secured Citi card for 200. I got an auto loan with Santander Bank for 10k and opened a fresh start account with finger hut. January ended I checked my scores and it had Rose to around 530 on all 3 reports. I hit the pre qualification sites again and came up empty again so I googled easy cards to get with poor credit and found the shopping cart trick gave it a try several times and it never worked. Middle of February a few more collections were removed by Lexington and my open sky and Citi card had been reported along with 1 percent utilization plus my Fingerhut account and my score went up to 550 . I received​ a letter in the mail from simply be.. a store I tried the shopping cart trick at and it was a pre approval for a credit card for 200 dollars. I was ecstatic and quickly went to the website and as soon as I logged in the pop up came up saying I was pre approved so I opened that account and added it to my credit limit. I then hit the pre qualification sites again and this time was pre approved for a credit one Platinum Visa card for 300 my first real unsecured card it felt great. I see that credit one and simply be are issued by commenity bank . I checked the score that they pulled for the credit one Visa and it was from Experian and was a 606 .. My goal is to hit 620 to qualify for a mortgage as of today is been 4 months and I have gained 200 plus points. Any advice on how to get that extra boost our should I just hit the garden and wait. Also on a side note how do I edit my signature.

Congrats on the jump in score.  Stay away from the SCT as too many approvals in a short period of time will result in all the accounts being shut down.  You have a good credit mix right now, so gardening would be a good idea.  Give it 6 months, then check the prequal for Cap 1 again and if it shows a hit, then consider applying for whatever it show approval for, and if approved, close the Open Sky account, but keep the Citi card as it could open up the door for a long term relationship with them. 

Time and good payment history is the best way to improve your scores.  You've done well so far.  Keep up the good work.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on scores coming up, but try to practice patience. Easy to say and hard to do, I know, but time is the best thing for reports to improve
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful with Lexington Law. There have been other who have used them to remove collections. They go away for a few months and then report right back to the CB's. I hope it doesn't happen but just take that into consideration
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like you're doing a good job. Congrats on the score increase. I would garden your stuff for at least 6 months.

As far as the mortgage, I think mortgage scores vary a little bit from the fico 8 scores. Do you have the myFICO 3B monitoring that shows you mortgage scores?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.