Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I went app crazy and had 12 inquiries w. EQ: 640 5 approved 7 denied :D

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went app crazy and had 12 inquiries w. EQ: 640 5 approved 7 denied :D

Hi all, this will be my VERY first post! But I'm definitely not a "real" newbie on this board, I read through them and follow through alot of discussions and tips. Anyway, I wanted to ask others out there... I finally got all my student loans paid for and my credit that was 528 just last year, jump rocket up to 647/640 this month. I was so excited that I automatically applied for my first credit card again... after years! I was approved right away for $1,000 from Cap1 card. I went on vacation and when I returned I got really happy and applied for several others, BofA (denied), CITI (denied), Chase (Denied), PenFed (denied), Victoria Secret (pending), Walmart (approved $500), Amazon (Approved $500), Neiman Marcus ($700), Bergdorf GoodMan ($700), Barclay (Denied), Discover (Denied), Amex (Denied). Anyway, with all 12 inquries how bad did I mess up myself? and now with $3400 CL, Im not sure if I made a mess or will end up better for later?

I currently have 7 CA on my report, 12 Good Standing, 1 Mortgage (paid off), No Auto Loan ( I paid my car in cash), and 3 Judgements (long story)... but this was so much better than it was last year where I had 23 CA... but I had 0% credit line and ofcourse 0% utilization. I can pretty much paid off the $3400 CL everymonth right now if I need to. But I dont know how to start and get myself to 700. Please help if you could and let me know your thoughts? should I try for any more cards???

Thank you much!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I went app crazy and had 12 inquiries w. EQ: 640 5 approved 7 denied :D

I'm no expert, by any means, but if I were you, I would head to the garden.  Instead if applying for more things nurture what you've gotten and give it time to grow.

Message 2 of 21
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Woah. Well you've done a little damage but not horrible.
Definitely garden. And when you're out be sure to know what criteria lenders look at beforehand! The board could've saved you some of those inquiries.

But a nice stretch of gardening will help you.

That cap one, Walmart, Amazon and probably NM too will grow really well. Barclay is really inquiry sensitive and some of those others may be too.

For the next 2 years focus on clearing those collections and judgments off and growing the lines you have!
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 3 of 21
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Welcome 2 the forum and +1 on previous advice..You have the needed accts. to get where you are trying to go,so now it's time to garden and work on baddies,while patiently growing your new plants,,,,Check out more info on the board about cleaning up credit files while gardening,,
Best Wishes on your credit journey !!!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 21
greent
Frequent Contributor

I'm right there with you I have 16 inquiries on my credit report. I was just approved for the citi visa card offered at cosco but it cost me 17 point drop on my credit. With the cards you got just make small purchases and pay off them off before the bill is due. I did that back in September till now and increased my score from 595 to 680. Capital is good at approving you with a low score. But just garden for about 6 months and your score will increase. Mine did.

Message 5 of 21
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Welcome. Simply gsrdening and growing what you you do have will put you on the track of reaching your goal. I wouldn't apply for anything else. Keep reading these threads because it sounds silly, but there are even ways to garden correctly, or get the most out of it.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your kind words! I am really excited to get my score up there, I just checked my score today even with 13 inquiries they just added the Walmart and my scored went up 13 points from 640 to 653. I wonder if it's going to be dropping later on Smiley Happy I'm excited and scared ....

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, you didn't mess up per se, not the recommended way to go but hey! We pivot from where we stand, right?

1) Congratulations on turning the page and getting the approvals you got....as mentioned above you got plenty and really shouldn't apply for ANYTHING for at least 12 cycles
Yes that's 12 months (you burnt a LOT of HP's) allow On-tims payments to work for you and you can only make 12 in 12 months.

Please dont take this the wrong way, the other reason for you to chill out is just the app spree cookie monster style should SCARE you into how easily you can fall back into old bad habits and impulses.

Read what you wrote... the moment your credit went from boo boo to less boo boo you ran out and tapped a dozen times seeking credit that should worry a person just like a recoverying addict of any kind, trouble lurks...if you aren't careful.

You're already speaking of paying of maxed out $3400 months which shouldn't even be anywhere NEAR how you spend on credit.

IMHO rebuilders should NEVER see a credit card balance over 20% at least for a year while you reteach yourself or teach yourself how to get it right this time for good vs right back to questionable habits.

Too often we 'buy' stuff on credit vs using our credit as a way to pay...big difference.

Those that PIF are using CC's as a payment method, if one has debt and collections and all these bill issues then they are paying checkers in a chess game and need to study and learn, the proper game or continually suffer the same fate again and again.

Hope that helps, someone.
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ thank you for your kind words and the time spent replying Smiley Happy I really do appreciate it! I understand exactly what you said and now that I calmed down and thought about it, it does makes alot of sense! I was just very excited to see the "Congratulations! You're Approved" I haven't seen that for at least a DECADE. Due to all of my student loans and to finally get that 1 it just gave me the "go signal" to try for the others.. which was really bad on my part. I'm still learning how to garden and how to work on my score. I can honestly say that I make enough monthly that I dont need a credit card but I dont show any credit card at all on my report. I paid a car in cash and our mortgage loan has only been under my husband's because of my VERY poor credit history mostly from student loans. 

I was wondering about that Utilization, I can maxed the $500 credit limit I have right now and pay it off the next day? I dont really know if that's the way to do it, or max it and pay 90% off it later? what will be the best approach? I want to get a score upto 750 if all possible. 

Thank you for yours or anyone that could enlighten me!

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

^ thank you for your kind words and the time spent replying Smiley Happy I really do appreciate it! I understand exactly what you said and now that I calmed down and thought about it, it does makes alot of sense! I was just very excited to see the "Congratulations! You're Approved" I haven't seen that for at least a DECADE. Due to all of my student loans and to finally get that 1 it just gave me the "go signal" to try for the others.. which was really bad on my part. I'm still learning how to garden and how to work on my score. I can honestly say that I make enough monthly that I dont need a credit card but I dont show any credit card at all on my report. I paid a car in cash and our mortgage loan has only been under my husband's because of my VERY poor credit history mostly from student loans. 

I was wondering about that Utilization,

I can maxed the $500 credit limit I have right now and pay it off the next day?

I dont really know if that's the way to do it, or max it and pay 90% off it later?

what will be the best approach? I want to get a score upto 750 if all possible. 

Thank you for yours or anyone that could enlighten me!

1) This is a GREAT example of somebody 'trying' the do the right thing but the 'system' and it's marketing machine has them all twisted.

Not your fault but listen up!

2) In it's simplest terms utilization, other than paying on-time obviously, is the most important aspect of the credit game.

You control it.... you decide how you look....the computer scoring model is all about %, the numbers nothing more, just the stats

Again simply stated it's a math equation ...think of letter grads in school

A 'C' grade would be keeping your 'reported debt' divided by  your CL at no more than 30%

Ex: $150/$500 = 30% util or I prefer 30% debt load or debt/CL ratio

Anything higher and your grade starts to slip lower than 'C'......(btw at like 70% it's considered an 'F' or maxed out fyi)

Keeping with the analogy

To be a 'B' student you want to keep your debt/CL ratio at no worse than 20%.......

using a $500 CL ...we are talking no more than a reported debt load of $100.....ie $100/$500 = 20%

'A' students are going to be below 10% or $50/$500 ( but to show 'some' usage at least 1%) so ideal is 1-10%.. No more.

And just so we are clear the top 46% of CC holders can and do maintain 10% or less usage ratios....

Many will ask HOW is that possible? One way is NOT to use credit as if one has large limit cards, when they are still in the

credit limit minor leagues....it's just that simple.

It's like a minor league ball player trying to spend like a major leaguer....wait your turn before you show your as or you''l never get

the big contract 'get it'....right now you do EVERYTHING right, till you get to the big leagues, if not you stay in the minors forever.

Last thing, IMO there is NO NEED the max out low limits cards 'chasing' a few reward points when the goal at that level should be to

build a solid history of

a) on-time payments (35% of score) and

b) great debt/ratio  (30% of score)

that's 2/3rds of the scoiring model....playing the charge up, pay down game is just playing with fire for no good reason IMO

The 'game' should be practicing on keeping payments on time and balances low.....and allow TIME (10% od scoring) to do it's thing.

Since, you don't have an installment account (b/c you paid cash for the car and the mortgage is under hubby...) if I were you I'd

set up a secured loan and 'pay' it back..thus adding credit mix (10% of the scoring model) and a good (installment) TL to your reports.

That way you are addressing a lot of the scoring model, with extra strokes

35% on time

30% debt util

15% aging/time

10% credit mix

____

90% of the model being touched (the other 10% is inq/new credit...it is what it is, there)

Everybody knows I like using the same secured funds to

1) Secure a small secured PL ...then use the 'loan proceeds' to

2) Secure 1 or 2 or 3 secured CC's then use the CC's to make payments on the loan

killing 2-3 birds if 1 stone ( the only 'cost' is a very little amount of % for the 'loan' 2-3% tops...ie $15-$25 over the course of a year or 2)

This allows for the illusion of a bunch of on-time payments, the credit mix of revolvers and a installment account,

with low debt/ratio....all for the number crunching 'dumb' computer scoring model to 'see'....remember it's just running numbers on percentages,

we'll worry about the big boy/girl CL's as they come....upfront it's all about the percentages.

Work them in your favor, especially NOW...when you don't NEED credit to pay your expenses....this is the PREFECT time to BUILD!

Build it BEFORE you 'need' it!

Take the next 15-25 months to build it right and you'll never look back....build it, while you don't NEED IT.....so when you want to use it, it's all grown upSmiley Wink

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.