Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IC System advice

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

IC System advice

Hey everyone! Took a little sabatical from the board, but I am back!

I have an interesting one pop up... IC Systems

DOFC: June 2009 -- RCN Cable is the OC.

In July 2009, IC Systems sent me a dunning (I don't have this, the only thing I don't have) indicating I owed 69 dollars on an old RCN debt. Legit debt. Since this was right when I started rebuilding, I knew to pay it to keep from reporting. (or that was the hope).

Flash forward to very recently; I have a new debt reporting as 69 dollar owed to IC Systems, on this same RCN debt. 

Perplexed, clearly, I called the bank and got a copy of the check. It has all the information, the account written in the memo. Exact amount requested, the check cleared AND was endorsed by IC Systems.

I scoured my statements, and saw they returned the 69 dollars over a YEAR later (it went unnoticed)

So what do I make of this? What is my next course of action? It is still showing the original 06/2010 date as DOFD -- IC Systems is not giving me a reason they returned it. I am just at a loss now. Is it possible they jumped the gun on collection authority?

Do I just treat this like any other collection now, attempt a PFD, negotiate? Did they do something wrong? Do I have any leveage you all can see?

I welcome all you pros to chime in, cause I want to do this correctly. I am not bitter or upset or anything, not my first rodeo haha

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: IC System advice

Is IC Systems still reporting and if so, how?  Meaning does it show you owe money?

Does the OC own the debt?  I would call them either way and see what, if anything, they can dig up.  Maybe at one time they recalled the debt or it was sent back by IC Systems, in which case they couldn't take your money but should have deleted the TL.

There is a reason they sent the money back whether they tell you or not.

Message 2 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Is IC Systems still reporting and if so, how?  Meaning does it show you owe money?

Does the OC own the debt?  I would call them either way and see what, if anything, they can dig up.  Maybe at one time they recalled the debt or it was sent back by IC Systems, in which case they couldn't take your money but should have deleted the TL.

There is a reason they sent the money back whether they tell you or not.

IC is reporting now. They never reported before -- IC owns the debt I think, RCN claims 'they can't look that far back into the system" (like computer information disappears in a mere seconds or something)

I should say that when I say same DOFD as before, I am assuming since it wasn't showing on my credit report, I just got a dunning.

Shows as assigned to them on 12/12 this year.. so; is it possible they sent the dunning, RCN recalled the debt from them (maybe went to another collection agency) -- then IC systems AGAIN got the account and reported this time? 

And they sent back my payment (in response the THEIR dunning and THEIR payment coupon) becuase they lost collection authority in the time it took to mail the check? haha

If that is the case, can they legally hold my money for 17 months?!?!?! That seems ridiculous.

-scott

Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, they cannot hold your money.  It should have been returned immediately stating they no longer held the debt.  That is a violation if that is what happened.

I would send them a DV letter and ask for any accounting, prior and currently on the account.

Message 4 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

No, they cannot hold your money.  It should have been returned immediately stating they no longer held the debt.  That is a violation if that is what happened.

I would send them a DV letter and ask for any accounting, prior and currently on the account.

Well -- I do have the check from 7/09 -- and the bank statement from 12/10 that shows they returned it, so maybe I have some leaverage

I mean ultimately, I just want to have it removed, and since I did pay it all these years back, maybe I can convince them to delete if I repay it?

I think I will do what you suggest; question is, since they already sent me a dunning, is it timely? Or do you think this is NEW collection on a debt they previously had, therefor making it timely again?

-scott

Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would definitely consider it a new collections.  They returned your money 3 years ago and now trying to collect again?

Plus, it is now on your CR and as far as you knew, it was paid.  It isn't going to hurt anything and they may actually respond.  If they do,  then I would question why they are collecting on a debt that was paid years ago and they returned the money 17 months later, and now collecting again.

Something isn't right.

Message 6 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I would definitely consider it a new collections.  They returned your money 3 years ago and now trying to collect again?

Plus, it is now on your CR and as far as you knew, it was paid.  It isn't going to hurt anything and they may actually respond.  If they do,  then I would question why they are collecting on a debt that was paid years ago and they returned the money 17 months later, and now collecting again.

Something isn't right.

Thanks for your insight.. Having been here for 3 years and working through my own debt and others, I knew something was off about this situation.. I stlil don't knw what yet..

I guess its a TBD..  I will send a DV and see what comes of it

-scott

Message 7 of 10
adabsi
Established Member

Scott I have bee trying to track down the contact info for EOS CCA and any tips to clear my debt of 2, 981. Please pm me any tips and info as well. Im young and don't know what im doing.
Message 8 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@adabsi wrote:
Scott I have bee trying to track down the contact info for EOS CCA and any tips to clear my debt of 2, 981. Please pm me any tips and info as well. Im young and don't know what im doing.

We were all young once... haha

I sent you a PM

-scott

Message 9 of 10
signguy17
Frequent Contributor

if you google IC Systems and bbb.com you will see you are not alone.  I have read on here where people have complained on the bbb site about them and their negatives were deleted quickly...

Starting Score:
11/11/12 BEGIN REBUILD myFICO 584

11/11/13 ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!! myFICO 705
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.