Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IC System was disputed and deleted, but IC System still requesting payment

tag
psychocredit

IC System was disputed and deleted, but IC System still requesting payment

Hi all, 

I am very new to credit rebuilding and have very limited knowledge in this area, so I would truly appreciate any comments you may have for my situation below. 

I currently have OK credit (FICO score of 720). About a year ago, I started getting phone calls from IC System trying to collect  an"unpaid account" for AT&T Uverse service from a time I was living at a condo in 2011. I had moved out of this unit, but apparently the service was not yet disconnected so AT&T kept charging me there until the service was disconnected and they claim that I owe them $300. But since I was no longer living there, I did not even know about this account until it was reported to IC System and they started contacting me. IC System told me that the original account was due on 09/2011 and since it was not paid, it was reported to them for debt collection. I explained to IC System that I was not living there at that time and ignored them. In Oct 2013, they reported it to the credit bureaus which caused my credit score to drop by 50 points. I subsequently disputed it online and interestingly, it actually got deleted and it is no longer showing on my credit as of now, and my FICO score improved as a result. However, IC System is still calling me. Today, one of the IC System representative spoke with me and told me that if I pay them the full amount now or within the next few days, they would not report it and would "delete" the account "as if this account never existed." He said that it was reported to the credit bureaus in Oct 2013, but did mention whether it was disputed or deleted, and I did not tell him that it is no longer showing on my credit report. I asked him to send me a letter regarding his offer, but he refused to send me anything in writing stating "all of our phone conversations are recorded and we would not give you any incorrect information and you are welcome to speak to my supervisor regarding my offer." He also instructed me that if I don't want to pay them I could send them a letter with any evidence that I was not living at my old apartment address and they will forward that information to AT&T and "evaluate" my claim. I have since moved twice and can not find my last rental agreement. 

My only goal at this time is to make sure that this does not get reported to the credit bureaus again which would indeed jeopardize my credit score. I am willing to do whatever it takes and willing to pay the whole amount, but I am afraid that they would then report it as "paid after collection/charge off." I would truly appreciate any advice/comments you may have for this situation. 

Thank you,

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: IC System was disputed and deleted, but IC System still requesting payment

If you don't pay it could show up on your report again. I'd take them at their word.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 2 of 9
bigman023
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Well, it sounds like the debt is valid. If your only reason for not paying the debt is that you moved, thats not going to cut it.  Now if you moved AND actually called AT&T to close the account. Thats a different story.

It sounds like you are willing to pay the debt. Any agreement you come to as far as paying in return of them not reporting, should be placed in writing.  I would make sure you limit the amount of time talking to them, and instead try to do all communications via mail.

Ive dealt with IC systems in the past, and they really were not all that difficult to work with.

5/2009 EQ-504(FICO), TU98-567(FICO), EX- 503 (FAKO)
10/17/11 EQ-633, TU04-652, EX-681 All lender Pulls
10/17/11 TU98-678
12/21/2012 TU98-677 (39% Util)
01/21/2012 EQ - 661 (37% Util) SW Alert
Message 3 of 9
psychocredit

Thank you for your comments!

As you guys mentioned I am willing to pay the debt as long as they don't report it to credit agencies again. You mentioned that I should keep all my communications in writing. Does anyone know of any template/sample letters that I can use to offer them paying the debt with the agreement that they will not report it to credit bureaus? I just want to make sure I am using the "correct language" and doing it in the right way. Thank you all for your help.

Message 4 of 9
psychocredit

Any other comments? Thanks

Message 5 of 9
titanofold
Established Contributor

No, seriously, take them at their word.

The majority of the time a verbal promise is good enough. Removing a CA or CO in return for payment is frowned upon by the CBs, so the agency may be unwilling to put anything in writing.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Not knowing the actual inaccuracy that was the basis for your dispute, it is difficult to determine whether they can reinsert their collection.

If any item of information is disputed and deleted because verification of the accuracy of the information is not provided, the party can later provide any lacking verification and have the information reinserted.  They must provide the CRA with a certification of accuracy along with their reporting, and the CRA must then notify you within 5 business days if they accept the certification and reinsert the information.

Not that difficult to do if the disputed information is in fact accurate. 

I would offer a pay for not reporting.

Message 7 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@titanofold wrote:

No, seriously, take them at their word.

The majority of the time a verbal promise is good enough. Removing a CA or CO in return for payment is frowned upon by the CBs, so the agency may be unwilling to put anything in writing.

+1

OP, this debt situation is unfornate, but it is valid and they can still collect on this.  Since you're willing to settle and they're willing to keep this off the CRs if you do, I'd go with it. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 9
Brax
Frequent Contributor

+2 Take them at their word.

My experience with them was very pleasant. Rather than arguing over the vailidty of the bill, they just agreed to delete in exchange for payment. Simple as that.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.