Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Theft/Fraud SOL

tag
randaljon
Regular Contributor

ID Theft/Fraud SOL

I saw in the Florida Statute of Limitations that fraud has an SOL of 4 years. If you find out you were the victim of ID theft but the account was created in 7/2006. Is it too late to file a police report or ID Theft Affidavit?

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ID Theft/Fraud SOL

@randaljon wrote:

I saw in the Florida Statute of Limitations that fraud has an SOL of 4 years. If you find out you were the victim of ID theft but the account was created in 7/2006. Is it too late to file a police report or ID Theft Affidavit?

Without looking at the statute, I would assume that the 4 years applies to prosecuting the crook that stole the info, as opposed to filing a report or affidavit. The police don't decide the fate of his/her SOL. In some states, SOL can be tolled for criminals if already in jail, moved, etc. Certainly worth the effort to file if you know you are a victim of ID theft.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.