Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INSTALLMENT ADVICE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

INSTALLMENT ADVICE

In the process of rebuilding.I have 3 credit cards and one store card.Thus , I was advised to get an installment loan for a good mix of credit.I join Alliant and did the SSL .

There were some confusion and the loan got paid off after 2 months inadvertently.

Do I need to open a new installment loan or will the paid off loan suffice to satisfy the installment requirement for FICO scoring?

Please advise...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: INSTALLMENT ADVICE

@Anonymous wrote:

In the process of rebuilding.I have 3 credit cards and one store card.Thus , I was advised to get an installment loan for a good mix of credit.I join Alliant and did the SSL .

There were some confusion and the loan got paid off after 2 months inadvertently.

Do I need to open a new installment loan or will the paid off loan suffice to satisfy the installment requirement for FICO scoring?

Please advise...

Is there any reason why you would need a bump in your scores right now?  If not, then I wouldn't mess with it.  Just keep growing your credit cards.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Please advise...

For an installment loan to be counted in your credit mix it must be open.
Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

My best advice on this?  Don't pay interest or spend money for scores.  Your score will grow so that when you do need it, you will have it.  Save your money.  Best of luck to you.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

My best advice on this?  Don't pay interest or spend money for scores.  Your score will grow so that when you do need it, you will have it.  Save your money.  Best of luck to you.

I disagree here 100% for someone who has low scores.  Here are my reasons:

1. My credit score going from 560->630 has already netted me a few hundred dollars a year in insurance discounts.  
  2. My credit score going from 560->630 has switched me from low end secured cards with annual fees to rewards cards with no annual fee that will pay me back at least $1000 in free cash back this year.

If the Alliant SSL bumps you the 20 points you need for either of these things, it is cash in your pocket if you work that way.

The 20 point bump means little to someone with a prime FICO score but for someone on the edge of subprime, it can make a big difference and may help them save money or put more money in their pockets.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.