Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IQ Data International..

tag
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

IQ Data International..

I finally recieved a DV in the mail from IQ Data International. It was for an apartment I NEVER lived in, however a "friend" of mine did. I immediately called them and told them what the issue was and that the debt actually was NOT mine. They told me that since I had sent in a PFD letter that it was kind of weird that I'm now saying the debt isn't mine. I told them, yes, because my "friend" agreed to pay $1500 of it and settle it out. I spoke with a supervisor and he said they could not accept that low of a payment because it was a $3200. Ok fine, so we agree to set up a payment plan that would erase it like it never appeared. Again, ok fine! My question is since my "friend" admitted to getting this apartment and everything else in my name is there a such thing as transferring the debt to her name and on HER social? Like I don't want to have to deal with making sure she makes the payments so this can get off my credit. And also, this being a debt I "owe" to an apartment it can hinder me from getting another!

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: IQ Data International..

Regardless of your legal responsibilty for the debt, by entering into a payment agreement with them, you have assumed respnsibility for repayment.

I doubt she will negotiate repayment on her own, and I doubt that the debt collector would agree to cancel your agreement in lieu of an agreement with a party that you have informed them is a bit shady.

I would recommend you consult an attorney regarding challenge of a debt that you assert is not yours, but that you have contracted to repay.

Would you consider bringing legal action against HER?  That would be a means to recover whatever you have now obligated to pay.....

Message 2 of 4
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Yes, I would.. but I really just want this PAID and off my reports because its reporting as current and killing my score. So more than anything, I'll probably set up the payments with her bank info with her on a threeway call as she stated she wanted to do and just take it from there.

Thanks though. I thought they'd at least transfer it since she admitted fault.

Message 3 of 4
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Well, I set up the payments, and the guy told me that if I kept paying it on time that later when the balance gets lower that he would work out a deal with me to settle it completely for a cheaper price and take it off my credit report. I am beyond excited! I'm upset that I have to pay it but it has to get done!

Thanks for any help.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.