cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Help Avoiding lien on house

tag
Spanky4u

IRS Help Avoiding lien on house

I was placed in uncollectable status for a long period of time.

I have not filed my 2014 taxes yet, and I reciently recieved

about 18k worth "reminder of overdue taxes". 8,000 of this is for

I am currently not employed.

They mention to pay by the 7th of Decmember.

My biggest concern is a tax lien, because I work in an

industry where credit checks are very important, and having

that happen would be a nightmare at finding additional work.

Is there any advice that anyone can offer please? Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IRS Help Avoiding lien on house

I may be mistaken but it sounds like they have been getting ignored. If you communicate that work with people. They have installment programs where you can make monthly payments. They will want you current on your returns before they agree to anything.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Spanky4u,

My advice as an Enrolled agent would be to get your 2014 Tax filed first. That will get you in compliance so they will work with you.

Next, call the IRS and ask them what they need to help your case. Don't lie to them, if they ask a hard question, don't answer it. Say you need more time to gather and research your records Smiley Wink

Did you file a tax return for 2005? If you did that amount due could be past the statute for collection(10 years).

Ask them if you have any other unfiled years too. Examine past returns for possible amending as well, file a 1040x for any year you want to amend.

Do you live in a state with no income tax? If you don't you may have a state tax problem too.

You may be eligible for an Offer in Compromise, but that all depends on your income and monthly expenses.(your best bet)

Another path is an installment plan, but that path doesn't offer a discount.

Also look for help from TAS taxpayer advocacy service or I can help you too

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spanky4u wrote:

I was placed in uncollectable status for a long period of time.

I have not filed my 2014 taxes yet, and I reciently recieved

about 18k worth "reminder of overdue taxes". 8,000 of this is for

I am currently not employed.

They mention to pay by the 7th of Decmember.

My biggest concern is a tax lien, because I work in an

industry where credit checks are very important, and having

that happen would be a nightmare at finding additional work.

Is there any advice that anyone can offer please? Thank you.

You can apply to be reinstated in the 'temporarily uncollectable' status again.

You need to get that 2014 tax form filed, even if you cant pay it and it means a higher amount due.

As long as your debt is below 50k, you can apply for an installment plan with them.

I was in a similar situation and at the time, I worked for a Government Contractor and needed to maintain a Security Clearance.  I hired a national firm to complete my years not filed, but not to represent me for negotiations.  They will represent me if those years are audited.  I had them review past years I had filed and also to complete 4 years I had never filed.  The cost was about 1800 for 10 years and it was very much worth it.

I am paying monthly in an installment plan directly with the IRS and they send me a statement every month.  I pay online using my checking account with no additional fees.

Currently, I am down to less than 2k and my payment is 50 a month.  I am hoping we will be even after this year's taxes are filed and I can go back into the shadows.

A copy of my current monthly statement is sufficient to establish I am in an approved repayment plan with the IRS and would allow me to stay within compliance of the financial review portion of a background check.

The installment loan does not appear on my credit reports, it is almost like a hidden trade line.

I did not have any judgments from the IRS, but I was very lucky.

If you want the names of a good national tax help company and of a horrible one, PM me

Even if you are unemployed right now, I recommend you try to get an Installment Plan established with them to prevent any long lasting problems on your CRs from their procedures.  I have no idea what the payment rate is on 8k but I can tell you 2k is 50 a month.  If you can possibly make it, it will prevent further damage to your credit, and keep you eligible for most background checks / financial reviews for employers.

HTH

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.