Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Lien Removal

tag
Njoy
Valued Member

IRS Lien Removal

Hi myfico friends,

Has anyone out there applied for lien removal from the IRS based on their new guidance permitting lien removal once the lien is paid (if requested by the tax payer) If so can you give me some guidance on how to proceed? I have two paid liens that I am anxious to have removed.

Thanks!

Starting Score: 507 (8/2010)
Current Score: 635 (EQ-7/2011)
Current Score: 683 (TU-7/2011)Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 76
75 REPLIES 75
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: IRS Lien Removal

I would like this info as well as I have a MD state tax lien that is paid but i need gone.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 76
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Have you  tried looking at the irs.gov website.  It should tell you what you need to do there.

Not sure that the IRS will help with a state tax lien.  You state statues should tell you what, if anything, can be done.  I would start by calling the tax auditor/assessor or what ever they are called in your state.

Message 3 of 76
Established Member

California Franchise Tax board was able to remove my lien for State Tax within 24 Hours.  I just contacted their  800 number.

Message 4 of 76
eharley0142
Valued Member

I too have two "released" tax liens originally from '03 and '05 reporting on my credit report. One that was paid 10/08, and one that was paid 12/09. Since they're not going to come off until 2015 and 2016 respectively, I was really excited by the news reports in February that the IRS would now withdraw the liens (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=236540,00.html).

I tried asking CPAs about getting the liens withdrawn and no one seemed to know what I was talking about. So I gave it a shot myself. Here's what I did:

- On 5/4/2011, I filled out and mailed Form 12277, Application for Withdrawal of Filed Form 668(Y), Notice of Federal Tax Lien (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12277.pdf), to the address in Oakland, CA listed in Publication 4235 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4235.pdf).

I included a cover letter explaining the situation and my reasoning for why the lien withdrawal would be in the best interest of the US government (improved credit leading to better future tax compliance), which is what I thought was the now acceptable rational.

The liens are kind of old, and I no longer have the original notice or the notice of release when I finished paying things off. So I included copies of the relevant portions of my credit report showing the dates, amounts, and locations of the filed liens.

- Certified mail receipt says that the mail was delivered 5/7

It's been 4 weeks and I have heard nothing back. I repeatedly tried calling the phone number in Publication 4235, and got voice mail each time. Last week, 1 month after I mailed the paperwork, I called and left a voice mail asking for a call back. Nothing yet.

I have read elsewhere that some people have gotten a notice of withdrawal within 2 weeks of sending in their requests.

Right now my score is a 710 (EQ) and I cannot get any new credit cards. In addition to the 2 tax liens, I have a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that was discharged 1/04, 7+ years ago. I have been trying to do anything I can to build my credit report. Four years ago, I got a secured Orchard Bank card with a $300 CL which after 1 year was converted to an unsecured card. Last Fall, I was able to get a vehicle loan at a local credit union at 4.34%. That was after I was approved for an 7.99% loan at the dealer through Wells Fargo.

Message 5 of 76
ssghandless
Contributor

What number did you call to have this removed? The regular hot line keep moving me to other numbers. Help...

4/5/12 TU-635 Ex-634 Eq-646 (Kroll Fact. Home loan)
9/8/10 TU-654 Ex-627 Eq-638
8/1/10 TU-629 Ex-627 Eq-638

Starting Score: 526
Current Score: 635
Goal Score: 750

Message 6 of 76
eharley0142
Valued Member

I called the phone number for the person in my area listed in this document

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4235.pdf

Message 7 of 76
ssghandless
Contributor

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

Message 8 of 76
eharley0142
Valued Member

Update 6/16:

I got copies of the Notification of Federal Tax Lien, and Certificate of Release of Tax Lien from my county recorder's office. Faxed those to the # in the publication I mentioned before. Got a reply the next day.

One lien (filed 2/2005, released 12/2009)  was withdrawn. I got a copy of the Certificate of Lien Withdrawl from the IRS. It hasn't been recorded at the county yet, but I am going to send it to the CRAs pronto.

The other lien (filed 3/03, released 10/08) was denied a withdrawal. The IRS says that the lien was released because the Statue of Limitations was reached and not because I satisfied the debt. I am going to have to straighten out what's going on there.

But, I'm very happy to have one lien removed!

Message 9 of 76
ssghandless
Contributor

Lastest update on the IRS LIEN...I asked for specifics on the lien and they removed them BOTH! I was pretty surprised. I had paid them off a few months prior to make sure they were recorded in other places so that is joy. Of course TU and EX were fast but EQ is being stupid about it and the time frame. I havent heard back from them as of yet.

Message 10 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.